Small Drain is clear but if water covers the hole fast enough it won't drain. If slowly water comes in it creates a siphon.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThankYou

Reaction score
I have a drain with a 1/4in opening and hose attached it is at a 90 degree angle. My problem is the drain will not work if water enters the channel very quickly and covers the hole completely. I have noticed that there will be a pool of water in front of the drain sometimes and will not drain then it overflows.
I tested the drain and when water enters the channel to drain it works fine and even creates a siphon if there is a lot of water constantly draining. My problem is if water quickly covers the opening it will somehow not drain. I assume this has a fancy term in the hydraulic world but I need to know how to fix it. The drain hose/line is clear and drains perfectly when water enters slowly. Even if I pour water in and it covers the drain, but only after it has started to flow. If I cover the drain very quickly with water it seals with air pressure or something..
Any ideas of what this phenomenon is called or how to fix it? I was thinking of putting a pin hole in the top of the drain line at the entry.
Thanks in advance :)

I seemed to have solved my problem. I read about adhesion, cohesion, and surface tension of water and learned a lot. The drain surface was rough and dirty causing strong cohesion and adhesion. The dirt may have also caused increased surface tension.
There was also a thin plastic lip around the drain (from the manufacturing process) that I shaved off with a razor. All of this lead to the water forming a strong sphere at the entry of the drain creating a plug (I know it sounds weird, but cohesion causes this and adhesion makes it easier to stay plugged). Cleaning with soap dish soap seemed to solve the issue. I am considering waxing the surface, but I need to read more about the fore mentioned properties to make sure it will help.
Most plumbing drains are highly polished so I believe it should help.

Back