Slow Drain, Kitchen Remodel - Double Bowl Sink to Single Bowl Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDahl

Reaction score
HELP!!!

We're finishing up a year-long remodel of my kitchen. We went from a double bowl sink (garbage disposal on left bowl, with no dishwasher), to a deep single bowl sink (garbage disposal installed, with dishwasher left of sink). In the old kitchen arrangement, there was a bulkhead we wanted removed. In doing that, we had to move a small portion of the vent stack piping. See below:
IMG_4457[1].JPG
For 6mo or so, we were working with a temporary double bowl sink. No problems venting, no problems draining. Now, with our single bowl, the water is pooling up and draining VERY slowly. I think it is a venting issue. If you take a small piece of hose and stick it into the drain, it immediately starts to gurgle (like the vacuum has been broken), and begins draining fast without any issue.
We have tried installing an AAV (no change), we even tried changing garbage disposals (no change)… At this point, I am really at a loss.
IMG_5433[1].JPG
IMG_5438[1].JPG

Have you tried snaking the drain, or tried draining the sink without the aav connected??,also looks like the drain is as the bottom of the disposal but it's hard to tell

Last edited:
@Geofd - Yes I’ve tried snaking; not a clog. Yes, I’ve tried without the AAV connected; no luck.
top of the horizontal is about 1” below the bottom of the disposal outlet into the p-trap.image.jpg

@JG plumbing - sticking the hose into the drain just a few inches. Doesn’t go through the disposal, doesn’t even go deep enough to touch the blade.

Fill the sink up to the top with the stopper in the drain. Then pull the stopper and see how it drains.

It sounds like your moving something in the garbage disposal to me.

Fill the sink up to the top with the stopper in the drain. Then pull the stopper and see how it drains.

Big 33”x8” deep sink. Filled it up about half way and pulled the plug. Drained how it used to drain before the remodel; fast and normal. Could it be something to do with back pressure or something?

Stand at the sink and take a pic looking down at the drain.

Looks like you were right… what happens if I cut off one of the rubber tabs?

Personally I wouldn’t do that. I suggest calling the manufacturer and see what they say. I’ve seen this before but never investigated a fix, I think ultimately it’s poor design.

I’ve read that some people cut a little off each rubber tab. I’m not telling you to do that.....

Back