shower knob position incorrect

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the setting on my shower knob. i have not used this shower for over a year cause im not sure how to fix my problem without having a plumber come in. i have finally broke down and am submitting this thread in hopes that you guys can help me out.

the picture that i am attaching to this thread is a picture of my shower knob without the knob attached. in the center of the circle is where the knob goes on and gets screwed to. on the outside of the center you will see two openings that have a set screw on the left and on the right. at one point i took the handle off and started messing with those screws, turning them clock wise and counter clock wise. i dont recall what i was trying to acheive by doing this but now that i have turned those screws over and over and over again in each direction, i have somehow changed the hot water area, i have lost all hot water. when i turn the main knob to where hot used to be, the hot water doesnt work. the water just turns off. but if i turn the knob to the cold side, that is perfectly fine. cold as all get out!!

somehow, with me turning those little screws, i have changed the way the water runs. i have again tried to turn these counter clock wise as well as clockwise to try and get these back to there normal position so i can use this shower once again, but no luck.

i have turned the knob to the hot water side and then started turning the screw on the hot side until watr came out, but nothing. i have turned and turned and turned................................nothing. only cold water and off is all i get

how do i fix this?

shower.jpg

They are little ball valves. I don't think I would've figured this one out without the picture.

Horizontal for on. Vertical for off.

I'm sorry but I'm laughing imagining you turning them endlessly and getting strange results. I swear plumbing fixture engineers may be idiots, but I think they have a sense of humor. ;)

Not to pick on you, Crankbait, but that IS funny.

But, one thing that makes me wonder. That is a pressure balanced valve, and you should not be able to get more than a trickle out of it without water on to both sides of the valve. Is it possible that you were having trouble with the valve when you started working on it? I am wondering if you mightn't need a new cartridge.

Back