Sewer Line emergency, Roto Rooter?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexalba

Reaction score
New homeowner here, just bought a house built in 1979. Few days after move in one of my sons used the bathroom and clogged it up. Thought it was just a simple plunger fix and even used my little snake to run it down the toilet. Turns out the issue wasn’t fixed and after running the washer the toilet overflowed out of the bowl a couple times, until we realized the washer running was causing the overflow. Turned off the washer and toilet stopped overflowing. Called out Roto Rooter and they unclogged the sewer line but ran a camera down the line and said I had a “belly” in a section of the pipe which was the root cause of the toilet clogging. They are charging me $2900 to fix the section of pipe, this included them having to break 2 feet of concrete to re-route the pipe.

Any suggestions of whether or not this is something that can wait or I need to get done right away? If I absolutely have to I’d put it on a credit card. Just very overwhelmed right now, help would be much appreciated.

Dips in the pipe is just going to clog time and time again. When that happens, you cannot run anything in the house. You can put it off until it happens again, then for as long as you can stand going without running water. If it happens again in the winter time, you could be up the creek without a paddle until spring.

Seems like a no brainer. Now that you are aware of the problem, fix it asap

Have a reputable drain cleaning company give you a second opinon. The company you had give you the first opinion has among the worst reputations in the industry. They have had many major class action civil case loses due to fraudulent practices in situations just like yours.

Have a reputable drain cleaning company give you a second opinon. The company you had give you the first opinion has among the worst reputations in the industry. They have had many major class action civil case loses due to fraudulent practices in situations just like yours.

good advice.....you need to listen to it

Thanks for the input…I did go ahead and called another plumber who had very good reviews in my area and he advised me to wait and see how long it takes for the issue to arise again to see how critical it is for me to get it done right away. He says he knows a few people who have bellied pipes but only have issues with them once or twice a year. I definitely want to get this done but if I can hold it off for about 6 months until I have money to do it that would be ideal. He also gave me a few tips on what to do when it clogs up again. One of them being to open the sewer clean out so that the water doesn’t come out indoors.

If the house was vacant for a bit before you moved in and started to use drains, could also have been a factor. I would just see how long before it happens again.
Just be careful with the laundry so you don't flood it again.

Just wondering, what do you consider an "emergency"? Say you get that call at 11 pm. I ask because not me but the other plumber got called out to snake a urinal. To me, that's not an emergency. There is a toilet, use it. This is more like convenience. But working for a company might mean all calls after hours are emergencies. I suppose in the urinal case, since you are there, might as well clear it, as opposed to turning off the stop and telling management you have to come back tomorrow to pull it and clear it... To me, emergency after-hours service means fixing something that you can not do without at that particular time.
I hope you don’t expect an answer. This thread is 9 yr old thread, the member has 2 posts ever and hasn’t been logged in since 2018

Latest posts

Back