Septic Leach Field 90 Down to laterals?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Daddy

Reaction score
Description and Usage: Oklahoma City Area, Oklahoma, 4 Bedroom House two story, 5 people. 18"/Min Perc in 1998, Sandy Loam 0-24", Sand 24- unknown depth more than 96" All Sand. Installed 1998.

All pipe 3" SDR 35 and 3" Perf Pipe
6 each 70 ft lateral lines
1 each 30 ft lateral line
2 each 40 ft lateral lines

Sand bed under perf pipes
3" depth of rock above perf pipe
24" wide rock cover

Problem: Running waste water from first 2 lateral lines surfacing water in driveway.

Analysis: Contacted DEQ, obtained septic plans for our property, Plans shown attached. Dug up the main trunk line at 8ft intervals locating and visual inspection of each Tee. They all turn down 90 degrees. Trunk Line (TOP) is 16 Inches from surface, Lateral lines at trunk are 22" (TOP), Trunk line slopes down hill from septic tank (Bubble on level touching uphill line), lateral line level.

Discovery:
First 3 lateral lines (From Septic Tank) in the entire system are functional.
3 of the 6 - 70 ft lines are full of sand inside of the perf pipe.
small maple tree is growing directly over the trunk line after the 5th - 70ft line. Depiction Drawing attached.

Questions:
Has anyone ever found or installed lateral line tees to turn down? I have never seen an install like this and all pipe connections have the bell on the downhill end of the pipe.

Can i drop the trunk line to lateral line depth so the tee's are inline with lateral line?

Am I correct to understand there should have been rock under and around pipe with at least 12 inches of rock above perf pipe?

should the lateral lines be 3ft deep considering the entire yard is like beach sand to at least 8ft depth?

Assumption:
I assume the first line would have to fill up first based on the tee shooting down, then once the first line fills waste water can run to the second and so forth until 9th lateral line. Doesn't seem logical to me. Would think that trunk line should have continuous flow across each tee to all lines in system for equal dosing of the field.

TIA~ Appreciate any help to analyze this and help with low budget solutions. Or do i just need to dig the whole system up and correct the field and lay proper amount of rock bed and cover to allow proper drainage.

Attachments

• Septic Layout.png
    Septic Layout.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Septic 90 Down.png
    Septic 90 Down.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Lateral Line Bed & Cover.png
    Lateral Line Bed & Cover.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Proposed Fix.png
    Proposed Fix.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Solution 1.png
    Solution 1.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
No one? Was 90'ing down into leach field common off the trunk? Thinking about replacing whole system with Infiltrator chambers, anyone have experience with those? Do they hold up if leach field accidentally driven on with a car or small truck?

I would also have the washing machine not go through the tank and be on its own field line. That may not be legal in your area.

Latest posts

Back