Replacing old tub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emsalee

Reaction score
I have a badly corroded, leaky tub spout that I want to replace. I have zero plumbing experience but it seems this should be a simple task. The existing spout has a hole at the base which would indicate a set screw, however when I look up there I don't see any screws. It looks like the previous home owner squirted a bunch of clear caulking up there and I was able to pull some of it out with tweezers. I still don't see any screws, just the pipe I believe. I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be appreciated. I tried to take a picture but it isn't the most clear.
IMG_20190305_100754941.jpg
IMG_20190305_094734269.jpg
IMG_20190305_101041034.jpg

Hard to tell from the pictures, but if you can spin the spout, the presence of a set screw really doesn't matter.

I would suggest turning the spout counter-clockwise while pulling on it. Some spouts have female threads and are screwed on to a male threaded pipe.if the spout seems to move away from the rub wall as you do that, you probably have that type of spout.

If it does not seem to be threaded, it should come off by moving it clockwise and counter clockwise as you pull on it, wiggling it off.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, it was threaded on. The hole on the bottom threw me off, I was worried about damaging the pipe if there was a screw that needed to be removed first.

Many manufacturers use the same mold for both types.

Okay so I have hit a snag in installing the new spout. The directions tell me that if the threaded pipe protrudes from the wall by more than 1/2" I will need to replace it with a shorter nipple. So I measured as the instructions indicated and went out and bought a smaller nipple. When I get home I look at the spout and do not understand how it is supposed to screw onto such a short pipe given that the threads are way at the end of the spout. If anything it seems I need a larger pipe... Am I missing something?
IMG_20190305_155701524.jpg
IMG_20190305_155812540.jpg
IMG_20190305_155821980.jpg
The old spout has this white piece that seems to extend it - could I reuse this with the new spout?
IMG_20190305_160506790.jpg

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the new spout does not fit on a nipple that protrudes 1/2", as the directions indicate.
Apparently you didn't look inside that new spout before you bought the short nipple.

Sounds like you have a few choices.
~Look for a different spout.
~Call the manufacturer and ask them what the correct protrusion is for that spout.
~Figure out what amount of protrusion is required for the spout you have.

Is "HOME PLUMBER" the manufacturer's name of that spout?

Last edited:
So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the new spout does not fit on a nipple that protrudes 1/2", as the directions indicate.
Apparently you didn't look inside that new spout before you bought the short nipple.

Sounds like you have a few choices.
~Look for a different spout.
~Call the manufacturer and ask them what the correct protrusion is for that spout.
~Figure out what amount of protrusion is required for the spout you have.

Is "HOME PLUMBER" the manufacturer's name of that spout?

Yes, home plumber is the brand, and you're right, I was focused more on following the instructions as opposed to actually looking at the product! So I am correct then, that the instructions must be incorrect? I was trying to see if I miss read them but I just don't see how they could make sense. Thanks for your reply.

Back