Replacement Toilet Flange in Concrete | 6" Extended Barrel Flange (?)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Manwell

Reaction score
Hello -

I'm replacing an old toilet in my basement. The original toilet hadn't been used in years, and the flange was nothing more than rust and wax, so I ripped all that out to find that a standard replacement flange does not reach my drain inlet, as the drain inlet sits BELOW 3.5" of concrete flooring. There is nothing in-between except the profile of exposed concrete flooring. It is a 4" iron drain line below 3.5" of concrete. This house was built in 1929, located in Detroit, MI.

How do I handle this? My idea was to order an 'extended barrel' flange that has 6" shank that I will - I guess - just push into the old iron drain and tapcon screw directly into to the concrete foundation. I started to question this method though, because my local Ferguson store doesn't keep any 6" shank flanges in stock (is it really that rare?)

Also wondering if I need to backfill with concrete after I place the flange? The diameter of the hole might be smaller than the diameter of the flange, depending on what I end up buying. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Alex in Detroit

Attachments

• IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5319.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5317.jpg
    IMG_5317.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • ABF0A495-90C2-4547-B0CE-074C5AEC67C4.jpeg
    ABF0A495-90C2-4547-B0CE-074C5AEC67C4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
You need to investigate this a little more. To do this correctly, you really need to cut out the concrete and look at the condition of the drain piping. With the amount of cast iron pipe missing, I would be a little leery in trusting an "extended barrel" insert for this installation. And the concern would be that the more you investigate, the more you may find you need to repair/replace. This could get very expensive very fast.

This may be a time to call a good plumber so that he can see this firsthand and offer a suggestion on this. It is hard to see the actual condition in photots.

Alex, you mentioned Ferguson not having the part you needed. That's not really the right place for non-routine parts.

Try Atlas Plumbing Supply on Gratiot north of Mack
or
Advance Plumbing & Heating Supply: 150 Parsons St. between John R. and Cass in the Cass Corridor.
or
These both have far, far more fittings for older systems and for cast iron. (Good people, too. No crabs.)

I think Advance bought out State Plumbing Supply when they closed, so they even have parts & materials dating back to the 1840's.

Good Luck with your project. I hope it goes well for you!
Paul

Back