Repeated Airlock in Bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulb100

Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking?

This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since.

It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank seems to be always full of water so no air is getting in there.

The first time it happened, I called a plumber out and he vacuumed out the cold tap until water flowed, I thought that would be the problem fixed. All was good for about 6-7 months and then it blocked up again. Instead of calling a plumber I cleared the air myself, I connected a hose to the mains tap downstairs, and forced water up the bathroom taps, this resulted in lots of air bubbles being forced into the attic tank, and then everything worked OK.

It seems to have become more regular now though, My fix only lasted about 2 months, so I repeated the process again, which worked, but it only lasted about 6 weeks this time. Now I seem to have to repeat it every 3-4 weeks.
I do wait until all the bubbles of air stop going into the tank and run the sink tap / fill the toilet so I am fairly confident all the air is out of the pipes when I finish.

I cannot think as to why it keeps happening. It worked without problem for 10 years previously since I got our bathroom remodelled.

Our toilet is fitted with a bottom entry cistern fill valve, is there any way that this could be faulty? And allowing air into the system? The only reason I mention this is because it seems to be a bit noisier than it used to be when filling the cistern.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Could you be getting sediment introduced into the pipe?

Since this is mostly a US plumbing forum, it would help to take some pics and/or drawings to explain, that water line and its venting, to help the experts here.

We don't have attic tanks here in the U.S., except, a few very old hydronic boiler heat systems have still have atmospheric tanks (open to atmosphere). Lovely to hear from folks off continent, but we don't know much, sorry.

If you are questioning the toilet why don't you replace the fill valve and see it that helps any and if not then you eliminated
the toilet out of the equation.

Latest posts

Back