Removing old bathtub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socal_rob

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm hoping to remove the old bathtub spout and diverter and install a new Danco spout. There is a ton of buildup on the old one (see photo), which isn't able to do a good job diverting water to the shower head any more. With so much buildup, I can't seem to find the set screw to loosen the retaining collar. From the looks of it, it appears to be a similar setup to the new Danco spout I have (see photo). With the new one, I think one could just unscrew the spout from the threaded end of the plastic extension nipple and then be able to access the set screw. Based on the photo of the old one, does it seem likely I could do the same and just unscrew the old spout? I've tried applying light pressure, but it's not budging and I'd hate to damage the pipe(s) by applying too much force.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Robert

Attachments

• BathtubSpout_Old.jpg
    BathtubSpout_Old.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Danco_New.jpg
    Danco_New.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I would cut the top part of the Chrome you can the split the spout if not just keep removing the spout until you get to the plastic, I don't think the copper comes out that far, I would then.cut the plastic from the wall to the end and split it Im not familiar with that style so that's how I'd do it

Back