Question about stagnant water in secondary shower heads

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizistaken

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a question about how the water flow works for my showers, as I have some concerns about stagnant water. I have 2 separate setups that I'm looking to learn more about:
  • Bathroom 1. Primary bathroom is a standalone shower with a wall mounted shower head and a ceiling mounted rainfall shower head
  • Bathroom 2. Secondary bathroom is a shower/tub combination
My primary concerns are:
  • Bathroom 1: We regularly run the wall mounted shower head, but have not run the rainfall shower head in several months. We are concerned there has been stagnant water sitting at the rainfall shower head and that there may be harmful biofilm build up there.
  • Bathroom 2: The wall mounted shower head is directly above the bathtub faucet. We use the bathtub daily to bathe our daughter, but similarly have not used the shower head in several months.

For both bathrooms, my general question is - would regular use of one of the 2 fixtures (i.e. wall mounted in bathroom 1 and bathtub in bathroom 2) flush the water in the whole system, or would the water remain stagnant in both unused shower heads, leading to potentially harmful biofilm build up?

Thanks so much in advance!

Back