Pump or Pressure Tank Problem?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedeeyo

Reaction score
Aloha all, we had a full house last week and now were having trouble with water pressure. My 1/2 HP Grundfos well pump has recently started taking an exceptionally long time to pressurize my tank (15-20mins). Cut in pressure is 30 PSI cut out pressure is 50 PSI. We have a 44 gallon Fexcon pressure tank. While pumping the pressure gauge needle is jumpy and before the problems started our faucets were spitting when first turned on. I've checked our catchment tank for blockage and there is none. I've also cut water to the house while pump was running so I know there is no leak on that side. My first suspicion was that water levels were too low in the tank and our pump was sucking air. Could air be stuck somewhere and be creating this problem? Or does this sound like a pressure tank issue? I drained and checked the pressure tank and when doing so I was unable to reach 0 PSI with open faucets and pump off. When water had stopped coming from the faucet my gauge still showed 10 PSI. Plumbing is not my trade so please bear with me. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

Its sounds like you need to call a well company to look at your problem. Friends of mine just had problems with air
in the faucets and toilets and it turned out the pump was bad. Put new pump in and everything was good. If your
planning on doing this repair yourself there is a site here called pumps and wells in the forums. I think there are guys
that work on wells all the time.

Thanks Tom I'll check out the site. I'm gonna take apart the pump today and look for any obvious damage.

Back