Newb with a few questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRiver

Reaction score
I have a submersible well on my property that was installed about 8 years ago before we bought the property. The former owner installed it to run an inground sprinkler system but never finished the system. It looks to be a 3 wire system. I believe it has a 6 inch casing and is a 4 inch pipe. I do not know the depth of the well, the HP of the pump, etc. but i am contacting the former owner to find these things out hopefully on Monday. As far as i know the well has never been hooked up to electricity or been ran. I want to hook it up and get it running to water my garden, and to pretty much use water from it outside instead of using my city water. The pipe comes out the top of the well cap, and has a pressure relief valve, then what i guess to be a ball valve. There is a breaker box about 8 feet away on my storm cellar. I will post pics when i get home as i am out of town at work. I'm slowly learning the things i will need to get it set up to run, and i will probably need lots of help and have many questions in the future.

But my first concern is: before i buy anything i want to make sure the submersible well even still will run. Is there a way i can hook it up and hear it run before i put out any $$$$ on it?

First you would need to know what type of pump is in the well.
I know you say 3 wires, but are they colored, red, black, and yellow, or are they two blacks and a green.
One is a two wire pump, it only uses 2 wires and a ground.

The other uses all 3 wires red and black start it and black and yellow run it. This type requires a control box to run, the other does not.
If the 3wire pump is ran without a box, it can burn it up very fast. (Like poof!!) That fast.

Knowing the hp of the pump would be a big help.

Both are more likely 220vac.

From what i can tell it is a 3 wire system. It has a wide, flat wire with red, yellow, black, and green wires. So this has to be wired through a control box? I thought as much.

Here are some pics of the well and the breaker.

SANY0846.jpg

SANY0847.jpg

This is the pressure relief vavle i guess?

SANY0848.jpg

SANY0849-1.jpg

I opened the front of the breaker and the two smaller breakers on the lower right are the only ones with anything hooked to them....they are 110v right? The other wide ones i assume the formewr landowner had there for the well?
Any ideas?

Also, i wonder how big the pressure tank would need to be.....i'm not supplying the house, just outdoor use.

Latest posts

Back