New Water Heater Not Heating

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjam

Reaction score
My water heater (gas) isn't heating the water. The pilot is on and so is the flame. The flue pipe is HOT and everything seems to be in order. I even replaced the whole water heater but am getting the same issue. What could be causing this?

Close the cold water inlet valve to the water heater and go to relieve the residual pressure/water in the pipe at a hot water faucet. The water should stop flowing. If the water doesn’t stop after a minute then you have a crossover between hot and cold.

Try it and see what happens.

What’s your thermostat set to ? What type water heater ?

When i turn off the cold water the pressure of hot water gets really low, there is still very small amounts of water continuing to come but it's not cold.
What exactly do you mean by crossover? where the hot and cold water like join somewhere down the line?

The hot water was working, but just suddenly stopped like week ago.

The thermostat is set to 'B'. It was set to 'Very Hot' but it didn't seem to be doing anything so i changed it to 'B'.

Here is the water heater:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Signature-6-year-limited-Tall-Natural-gas-Water-Heater/1002550492
This is what I'm thinking could be potential issue (im not a professsional, so i may be wrong).
- There is a leak down the line somewhere so the water in the tank is never really able to get hot.

Very well could be a leak. Turn the cold water valve to the heater for a few minutes then turn it back on.

You shouldn’t here any water flow into the heater when you turn it back on. If you hear water flow when you turn the valve back on, you have a leak.

You could also look at your water meter with the valve on and the valve off to determine if there’s a hot leak.

If you leave the cold water off to the heater for an hour or so you should have hot water when you turn the valve back on if the heater is operating correctly.

If you leave the cold water off to the heater for an hour or so you should have hot water when you turn the valve back on if the heater is operating correctly.

Hopefully there’s an expansion tank after the cold water shutoff, though uf there’s a leak then I guess it doesn’t matter

Latest posts

Back