Need a socket with 3" depth

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havasu - I don't have a good way to support the guts. I can't even see where it connects - there is a 2x4 in the way and the opening is too far for me to try to feel it. And I'm a bit loath to try to remove it and have me mark up the escutcheon somehow.

Mr. David, are any of the tools you have 13/16 or less for the widest outer diameter? And it needs to be able to grab the bolt part about 3" down.

Delta tool is going to be your best bet. It's 4" long.

It's tapered. so the out/inside diameter decrease as you go toward the small hex end at top. you can cut it a bit shorter if needed.

5/8" nut measured across the points is 11\16" so the tool can only be 1\16" thick. That's a tight fit. very odd that a manufacture would design it like that.

21ZqmmbrEkL__SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
My worries are over! I found an extra-deep well 5/8" socket with the same outer diameter as the shorter one I had. It took 2.5 hours of driving around this afternoon visiting a plumbing store, Farm-and-Fleet, a couple of auto parts stores, and a couple of handyman stores, but I finally found one at Menards!

Thanks to all who had suggestions for me. And I learned a new word - escutcheon :)

One final question (I think). I'm finally getting around to installing the stems and seats. A bit of a hassle with defective stems received, etc.

Anyhow, I was planning to put silicon grease around the o-rings (both outer and inner) of the stems. Is that advisable or no? Also, should I put anything on the rubber washer on the stem that goes against the seat?

Thanks.

One final question (I think). I'm finally getting around to installing the stems and seats. A bit of a hassle with defective stems received, etc.

Anyhow, I was planning to put silicon grease around the o-rings (both outer and inner) of the stems. Is that advisable or no? Also, should I put anything on the rubber washer on the stem that goes against the seat?

Thanks.

Nothing on the washer seat. That will allow foreign debri from sticking to the washer and then when close can embed into it causing a bad seal.

Stem lube on stem where it moves in and out against the stem seal is okay. Nothing on the threads and o-ring you can see in the picture. you want this stem bonnet tight in the valve body. you don't want to accidently unscrew it while opening the faucet

I have stumbled on some flux here lately.
it is by harris, the name is stay clean it is a liquid flux

you could take a socket cut the end off, and solder another socket onto it

making a long deep well socket.

using regular lead free solder

Back