Moving toilet PVC pipe 5 inches left and 5 inches up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsib

Reaction score
I'm a newbie here and wanted to get some guidance on what the proper way of moving the toilet pvc drain 5 inches to the left and 5 inches up. This is a DIY. Would love to get some feedback on the proper steps like cutting the floor, what to pitfalls to look out for as far as when the drain is moved (angles), and how to place the floor back so it's properly sealed. Thank you in advance!

What are you trying to do
the house that I bought has an uncomfortable toilet position where it's essentially next to the wall, and improperly installed. I can't rotate it, so the best thing to do is move the pipe drain to a better location for comfort.

Still need some more information. Is this over a basement or crawl space? Is it on the second floor? Is it on a concrete slab on grade?

Still need some more information. Is this over a basement or crawl space? Is it on the second floor? Is it on a concrete slab on grade?
This is on the first floor, no grade, no concrete, there is a crawl space below the toilet. Thank you so much for helping out @MicEd69

Seems like an easy task. I'd give my left (ear) to have a crawl space to access. These concrete slab foundations suck!

OK, we need to see a picture of the piping. If you are lucky, the line for the toilet could be such that all you need to do is cut a portion of the horizontal line out or add a section of horizontal line running to the main with minimal angles. Your best approach is to keep the vertical pipe to the toilet location totally vertical. When you say, "5 inches up", I assume you don't mean raising the toilet 5 inches, but moving the toilet "up" as looking at the toilet in a plan view, correct?

The construction issue you will likely run into is that the floor joists are at a set location, and you will very likely want the new toilet location to be such that one will interfere with the piping. That will mean you will need to perform some carpentry to "box out" the toilet to allow the piping to be properly ran. Again, a picture and a drawing of the new toilet location with joist shown will be needed to provide an answer to you question.

Back