Move pressure tank to inside a basement from old, outside well-house?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLUMech

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hi all....
A friend wants me to help him install and relocate a new, well pressure tank from an outside well-house to inside his basement. He wants to leave the pressure switch outside however. Has anyone done this before? Will it work and maintain adequate pressure to the house? Of course, we'd bypass and remove the old outside pressure tank. It's a 3/4" poly line, approx 60' long from well-house to the house and new pressure tank. Would friction loss reduce psi and gpm into the house significantly? I'm thinking it wouldn't effect flow in the house at all.

Last edited:
Can't do that. The pressure switch and pressure can be at the pump or a long ways off, but the switch and tank must stay together. Pump will bounce on and off violently if the switch is too far from the tank. If the power comes from the basement as well, the pressure switch and the tank can be in the basement.

If just trying to save some space, upgrading to a Cycle Stop Valve will allow the use of as small as a 4.5 gallon size tank. Doesn't take much room as even a fake rock can cover it.

PK1A submersible well seal.jpg

PK1A sub pitless house.jpg

Can't do that. The pressure switch and pressure can be at the pump or a long ways off, but the switch and tank must stay together. Pump will bounce on and off violently if the switch is too far from the tank. If the power comes from the basement as well, the pressure switch and the tank can be in the basement.

If just trying to save some space, upgrading to a Cycle Stop Valve will allow the use of as small as a 4.5 gallon size tank. Doesn't take much room as even a fake rock can cover it.

View attachment 42938

View attachment 42939

Thanks Valveman, makes sense. I was thinking it might short-cycle some. That wouldn't be good at all. He's an electrician, I'll just see if he'll bring the pump wiring into the basement, so that we can locate pressure switch right at the tank. I appreciate your info.

Like Valveman said, it won't work, but, I helped a friend with the same problem, we installed a small pressure tank in the well house, left the big one in the basement, worked fine after that.

Like Valveman said, it won't work, but, I helped a friend with the same problem, we installed a small pressure tank in the well house, left the big one in the basement, worked fine after that.
Usually having a pressure tank by the switch and a second tank further down the line doesn't work very well. The friction loss between the two pressure tanks causes the first tank to fill first and the pump shuts off. Then the first tank drains into the second tank until the pressure equalizes. If the first tank is small, the pump may come on and off several times before the larger tank finally gets full.

I say "usually" because it doesn't work that way with a Cycle Stop Valve. The CSV fills the tank(s) at a rate of only 1 GPM. At 1 GPM flow there is no friction loss in the pipe and both or several tanks will fill at the same time/rate and the pump will shut off as needed. However, with a CSV, the first little tank is usually the only one needed. :)

Back