Mold coming of tub overflow plate in apartment bathtub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanDiegoMike

Reaction score
I had some mold coming out of the tub overflow plate and I squirted some bleach in there and then some water to rinse. I'm not sure why there would be mold coming out. Although the bathtub drain seems to be working normally, I'm thinking of adding foaming drain cleaner into the tub drain as maybe there is a clog or buildup of something somewhere. I'm a renter, and have been there for 6 months so far. What do you think? Thanks.

mold is pervasive. highly resistant to all chemicals except specialized ones that mortals can't get access to. Bleach barely phases it.

I had some mold coming out of the tub overflow plate and I squirted some bleach in there and then some water to rinse. I'm not sure why there would be mold coming out. Although the bathtub drain seems to be working normally, I'm thinking of adding foaming drain cleaner into the tub drain as maybe there is a clog or buildup of something somewhere. I'm a renter, and have been there for 6 months so far. What do you think? Thanks.
Do you have a picture or two?

Do you have a picture or two?
No, I squirted the bleach in there before I thought of taking pictures. It was a dark gray mold that was coming out about an inch to the right side and another one from the bottom of the overflow plate about an inch. I am cleaning the tub drain with foaming pipe cleaner, but now thinking of removing the overflow plate and putting a bottle of foaming snake cleaner in there too. I was thinking there was some kind of blockage with soap scum or other material that is allowing mold to build up in there. There is no window to the bathroom, but there is a exhaust fan which I turn off after showering. In general, it's still probably 50-60% humidity in the bathroom.

Call the manager for apartment. Ask for advice or help. If its raining outside or similar weather, humidity will be elevated. Think when it rains, 100% humidity. How long after you moved in did the symptoms of what you described become visible? Was it like that when you moved in?
Also, do a little homework and select good (try soft scrub type only- no abrasives) tub and tile type cleaner. There are many such as zep tub & tile cleaner and non-abrasive barkeepers friend, both very good. Mix together if you want to get benefit of both of there active ingrediets, glycolic and oxalic acids, which is what's reqired to dissolve scale, soap scum and dander build up. They are mild acids. Forget the bleach.. you are wasting effort, money & time. Also, forget about thinking the problem is coming up from down the overflow. That's nonsense. Problem is likely lack of normal, appropriate, frequent enough cleaning AND good chance you either aren't using the exhaust fan as often or long as you should each time shower utilized and/or the exhaust fan isn't evacuating the moist air at the minimal cfm rate per size of the bathroom. Many other variables, but these are you're most likely solutions.
If your manager allows you to remove cover plate or spray unknown drain line cleaner, that's between them and you. Hope the above proven remedies and ideas give you boost in right direction. Never hurts to do a lot of reading to get informed before acting. Highly unlikely your problem is the little bit of mold.. the problem is what gives rise to the presence of mold. In most cases its lack of proper cleaning, unless it's the exhaust fan not being utilized or not working properly in conjunction with not attending to the cleaning.

I'd recommend leaving the fan on inside the bathroom for 10 minutes after you are done. That is what I am doing until I replace my fan with an automatic humidity shut off switch.

I'd recommend leaving the fan on inside the bathroom for 10 minutes after you are done. That is what I am doing until I replace my fan with an automatic humidity shut off switch.
And don't just shut bath door and turn off fan when you exit bathroom after showering. Depending on length of shower and more, it's normal to leave exhaust fan running until such time as the wall & ceiling above shower areas is dry to touch. Then its OK to turn off exhaust fan and shut door if desired. Not before or lack of cleaning and moisture will give rise to mold growth. The temperature is already ideal for mold growth in CA. You add organic food (not clean of dander, dust and more) and moisture and you've created perfect environment for mold to develop, crap out your caulk lines and more. Cleaning matters indoors.

I've also found in most rental apartments, they seem to always go the cheapest route, like a 50 CFM fan for a 200 cubic foot room, and never clean the dust from the intake screen.

Call the manager for apartment. Ask for advice or help. If its raining outside or similar weather, humidity will be elevated. Think when it rains, 100% humidity. How long after you moved in did the symptoms of what you described become visible? Was it like that when you moved in?
Also, do a little homework and select good (try soft scrub type only- no abrasives) tub and tile type cleaner. There are many such as zep tub & tile cleaner and non-abrasive barkeepers friend, both very good. Mix together if you want to get benefit of both of there active ingrediets, glycolic and oxalic acids, which is what's reqired to dissolve scale, soap scum and dander build up. They are mild acids. Forget the bleach.. you are wasting effort, money & time. Also, forget about thinking the problem is coming up from down the overflow. That's nonsense. Problem is likely lack of normal, appropriate, frequent enough cleaning AND good chance you either aren't using the exhaust fan as often or long as you should each time shower utilized and/or the exhaust fan isn't evacuating the moist air at the minimal cfm rate per size of the bathroom. Many other variables, but these are you're most likely solutions.
If your manager allows you to remove cover plate or spray unknown drain line cleaner, that's between them and you. Hope the above proven remedies and ideas give you boost in right direction. Never hurts to do a lot of reading to get informed before acting. Highly unlikely your problem is the little bit of mold.. the problem is what gives rise to the presence of mold. In most cases its lack of proper cleaning, unless it's the exhaust fan not being utilized or not working properly in conjunction with not attending to the cleaning.
Just as a sidebar, typically, when it rains, the humidity is 90 - 99%, not 100%.

Just as a sidebar, typically, when it rains, the humidity is 90 - 99%, not 100%.
Yes, agreed. Was just trying to provide seeker of help, the frame of reference because of earlier mention of humidity range. The 50 cfm cans are max rated out of box, but code minimum is 20 cfm (and there is more to this, but not for this blog). Builders do the cheap route all the time, because they are only required to meet min. code in many cases. Thus apts, condos, etc. all receive this low level of attention. Builder walks away and homeowner or tenant/mgmt. co./landlord is stuck with problem going forward. So much of the exhaust potential is determined by ducting above ceiling and lots more, but again not the topic here.

Latest posts

Back