Moen Shower mixer stuck

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dook787

Reaction score
We’re starting the process of redoing our shower and I am unable to remove the shower mixer. All the screws were basically stuck, had to drill out the set screw for the handle but was able to remove it. Now I am to this brass piece, I have removed the screw in the center but it will not budge. I’m unable to get the face plate off without removing it. Do I need like a puller or something? Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! 13321CBA-70F2-4765-8634-8739DA9DB74B.jpeg

There is a normal Moen cartridge under there. If screw is gon, then, yes, a puller.

Get all the new parts together

Turn water off

Break that adapter off.

Remove trim/escutcheon plate

Pull the copper clip that retains the cartridge.

Pull the cartridge.

Install new cartridge

Replace copper clip

Turn water back on

Reinstall trim/escutcheon plate

Install handle adapter

Install handle.

Get all the new parts together

Turn water off

Break that adapter off.

Remove trim/escutcheon plate

Pull the copper clip that retains the cartridge.

Pull the cartridge.

Install new cartridge

Replace copper clip

Turn water back on

Reinstall trim/escutcheon plate

Install handle adapter

Install handle.
Thank you! So what I’m looking at there is a handle adapter? Do you have any recommendations on how I’d go about breaking it? As far as the cartridge, do you think I’d just be able to pull it out after the handle adapter is removed? Or you think I might need a puller for the cartridge? Thanks again

Thank you! So what I’m looking at there is a handle adapter? Do you have any recommendations on how I’d go about breaking it? As far as the cartridge, do you think I’d just be able to pull it out after the handle adapter is removed? Or you think I might need a puller for the cartridge? Thanks again
Yes, that’s a handle adapter.

You can break it off the stem by using channelock pliers and rocking back and forth. Use as much force as necessary until it comes off or breaks.

Alternatively you could cut it off with a grinder or dremel tool. Safety glasses.

You may need a puller, you may not. There’s no way for me to know. Remember to turn water off first and remove the retention clip.

Yes, that’s a handle adapter.

You can break it off the stem by using channelock pliers and rocking back and forth. Use as much force as necessary until it comes off or breaks.

Alternatively you could cut it off with a grinder or dremel tool. Safety glasses.

You may need a puller, you may not. There’s no way for me to know. Remember to turn water off first and remove the retention clip.
Sounds good, I guess I’ll get to cutting then. Thank you very much for the input, I appreciate it!

Back