Moen 1222 cartridges water won’t stop coming… please help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaaukama

Reaction score
Hello…
I had to replace a leaking faucet from my tub. The cartridge I had pulled out was Moen 109272. I googled the part and it said that is the same as Moen 1222.
I went and spent $60 got a new cartridge and it stopped the leak. I put the whole assembly back together again but once once I put the handle back on to complete everything as ms then turned it on the water gushed out the faucet but it was like it couldn’t turn off no matter what I did. It would slow down but not completely stop. Enough to the point it was best to keep water off
No matter how much I readjusted it didn’t help. So I spent another $60 and got another cartridge and the same thing happened.
Now a few days without water a plumber came out and said it was a cartridge problem and wanting to charge $375 a hour. I this time ordered a cheap mock-off Moen from Amazon for less than 20. I was at least hoping I can get it to the point like the other 2 we can at least put it in twist the metal handle a little and the water will stop so we can at least keep the water on. But this one did nothing it just kept the water to go on through.
I’ve emailed Moen but got nothing. I’ve checked for inside to see if anything could be stuck or clogging and I don’t see or feel anything inside the pipe.
I don’t know if i should buy another one…

I do want to note that with the first 2 the small clip that holds the cartridge was broke but i don’t think that would be the issue of the water turning off…

Thanks for any help or advice you have

You need the small clip. It is very likely that the lack of clip causing the cartridge to push out when pressure is applied. When a cartridge is fully inserted, with clip in place, the Moen cartridge is foolproof.

in other words, DIY-ERROR !!!! it is good to look for YOUTUBE videos, or other resources, before tackling a repair you are NOT familiar with / knowledgeable about...... if you had searched U-tube, for Moen 1222x install videos, you would have found all the info you would have needed, for SUCCESS...!!!

Back