Mobile Home Water Heater Replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microbell

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I'm looking for some expert advise and direction on a nightmare project that fell into my lap from my Grandmother. As I'm not a professional plumber and only have average skills (used to plum swimming pools) I need advise on how to tackle this project as I have no choice but to attempt.

Back Ground:

This is my Grandmothers water heater that has major leaks and caused damage to bathroom floor so I'll be replacing that and floor under this water heater. Called three Professional Plumber services for estimates and they were all outside of my Grandmothers affordable budget. Price range from $1600 to $2000 so I priced out the total cost for parts and it should be somewhere around $600 if I do it.

I'll be converting most of the pipe around the water heater to PEX and have a few questions about how to connect to the older rolled copper.

1. Should I use compression fittings to move from copper to PEX as it's my understanding the "Sharkbite" connectors can't be used on rolled or soft copper and should those fittings be located where I indicated on the picture?

2. Can an older compression fitting be used as the pipe it's connected to is slightly crimped and bent and new fitting may not seal? (See Picture)

3. Are 18 inch braided stainless steel water heater connections enough distance before moving to PEX on the hot side or can it be less/more?

4. Can a Sharkbite 1/2"-1/2" Brass ball valve be used on the main inlet feed to shut off the water?

*Note*
I'll be replacing just about everything you see in the pictures with the exception of the power wire and maybe that one connector (bent pipe one) as I have no way to reach a straight usable area of the pipe unless I run a new line.

Please let me know if this method is doable and if you have an easier or cheaper way to tackle this project don't hesitate to let me know as I'm a little apprehensive about this project anyway as it seams most plumbers like to avoid mobile homes. (Called 2 that didn't even want to give estimates)

Thank you for any input!!

Connection Location
5aqgHycV_t.jpg

Bent Pipe
HyvENbn0_t.jpg

Saving Connection
f2pMOdif_t.jpg

Overview
oOalr1EP_t.jpg

Follow this link for Picture Gallery of the Water Heater being replaced.
Code:
https://imgbox.com/gallery/edit/kHrmfVko3s/TASNX2OuvFTeS7wC

Back