Minimum distance from toilet to horizontal to vertical bend

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mim

Reaction score
Hello,
I am renovating my home by adding back-to-back bathrooms on the second floor (used to be one bathroom and am using the same stack). One of the toilets will be very close to the horizontal-to-vertical stack bend. I was wondering if there is a code for the minimum distance of the toilet and the horizontal to vertical bend? Please see the attached diagram for more details. Any help is highly appreciated.
My second question is regarding connecting the tub and vanity drains to the main stack: is t better to have separate connections to the main stack, or better to connect tub and vanity drains to one pipe and connect that pipe to the main stack?
Thanks

Attachments

• plumbing.PNG
    plumbing.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 18
First., minimum distance of a trap arm is twice the diameter of pipe., so a 3inch pipe should have at least 6 inches.,
The way your picture looks., I would add a loop vent tied back to vent stack after the last toilet..

If the branch drains are tied in properly., to the waste stack, it's no issues either way you tie it into the waste., but if you're close enough to the waste main drain, tie it into it with combination fittings or wye fittings

Reactions: mim
First., minimum distance of a trap arm is twice the diameter of pipe., so a 3inch pipe should have at least 6 inches.,
The way your picture looks., I would add a loop vent tied back to vent stack after the last toilet..

If the branch drains are tied in properly., to the waste stack, it's no issues either way you tie it into the waste., but if you're close enough to the waste main drain, tie it into it with combination fittings or wye fittings

Thanks a lot for the info and your suggestion, much appreciated.

Hello again,
Instead of trying my design, I decided to have a licensed plumber do the job. He came one afternoon and then he disappeared (after fisrt payment), and now I cannot find him :( . I am thinking to finish the job myself but I am worrying that he may have done something wrong.
The following diagram shows the current plumbing:

1- He used "wet vent" for the 2 bathroom groups: and said toilets must be the last fixtures, but since "Lav1" will have its own vent , this would not be a code violation to have lav1's connection after Toilet2, is that correct?
2-For the "Horizontal to vertical" on one branch he used a regular 90-degree elbow, and for the other branch he used a long sweep elbow, Both branches are connected to 3" Wye in the vertical waste line. I asked him about the regular 90 degree and he said since it is used for horizontal to vertical, it is ok, I am wondering if that is correct for Wet venting/double toilet as well?
3- To make the toilets be the last fixtures, he has used a 7ft pipe for Toilet2, is that ok or any limit on its length?

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• plumbing_diagram.png
    plumbing_diagram.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220123_111848.jpg
    20220123_111848.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220123_114149.jpg
    20220123_114149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220128_082441.jpg
    20220128_082441.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220123_111740.jpg
    20220123_111740.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Let me know how it turns out..., pictures wouldn't hurt either ;)

Hello again,
Instead of trying my design, I decided to have a licensed plumber do the job. He came one afternoon and then he disappeared (after fisrt payment), and now I cannot find him :( . I am thinking to finish the job myself but I am worrying that he may have done something wrong.
The attached diagram/pictures show the current plumbing:

1- He used "wet vent" for the 2 bathroom groups: and said toilets must be the last fixtures, but since "Lav1" will have its own vent , this would not be a code violation to have lav1's connection after Toilet2, is that correct?
2-For the "Horizontal to vertical" on one branch he used a regular 90-degree elbow, and for the other branch he used a long sweep elbow, Both branches are connected to 3" Wye in the vertical waste line. I asked him about the regular 90 degree and he said since it is used for horizontal to vertical, it is ok, I am wondering if that is correct for Wet venting/double toilet as well?
3- To make the toilets be the last fixtures, he has used a 7ft pipe for Toilet2, is that ok or any limit on its length?

Attachments

• plumbing_diagram.png
    plumbing_diagram.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220123_111848.jpg
    20220123_111848.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220123_114149.jpg
    20220123_114149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220128_082441.jpg
    20220128_082441.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220123_111740.jpg
    20220123_111740.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Hello again,
The attached diagram/pictures show the current plumbing:

can't see any of the pictures

Attachments

• plumbing_diagram.png
    plumbing_diagram.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220123_111848.jpg
    20220123_111848.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220123_114149.jpg
    20220123_114149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220128_082441.jpg
    20220128_082441.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220123_111740.jpg
    20220123_111740.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
ok, I uploaded them again
this more of a phone conversation., like why did he wet vent it? why didn't he run the toilet in the next beam over and you guys frame around it.,
I think he should add a relief vent from the toilet with the 7 ft trap arm. It will work., just add a relief vent with the 2nd toilet. He could've tied toilet 2 in near tub 2 and ran a relief vent to the stack.

Seems like a lot of waste of pipe and added clutter.
Regular 90's can be used for VENTing.
Hopefully u have his license number... Not sure why he decided to wet vent the bathroom., When he could've ran a dedicated vent up the next pocket over.
How far above the floor are those toilet flanges., seems high.
Shoot me an email., my username at Gmail

this more of a phone conversation., like why did he wet vent it? why didn't he run the toilet in the next beam over and you guys frame around it.,
I think he should add a relief vent from the toilet with the 7 ft trap arm. It will work., just add a relief vent with the 2nd toilet. He could've tied toilet 2 in near tub 2 and ran a relief vent to the stack.

Seems like a lot of waste of pipe and added clutter.
Regular 90's can be used for VENTing.
Hopefully u have his license number... Not sure why he decided to wet vent the bathroom., When he could've ran a dedicated vent up the next pocket over.
How far above the floor are those toilet flanges., seems high.
Shoot me an email., my username at Gmail

Thanks a lot for your response and for your suggestion. much appreciated.

Regarding adding a relief vent after the Toilet2: (Please see the attached diagram/picture)
Unfortunately, there is no room to add a connection for that. That area is mostly fittings with a very small amount of pipe between them --> it seems that cutting any part of that, I will need to redo most of it (at least toilet1, lav1, tub1, toilet2) again!! Only between tub1 and tub2 and Lav2 there is enough pipe to add new fittings.

Does adding a relief vent between tub1 & tub2 help?

Do you know if the current plumbing violates any plumbing code?

Although it is not a good practice, it seems that in Ontario, as an exception, 90 elbows can be used for horizontal to vertical:
" Ontario Code: 7.2.4.3. 90° Elbows 90° elbows of 4 in. size or less in sanitary drainage systems may be used,(a) to change the direction of piping from horizontal to vertical, in the direction of flow"

The flanges has not been glued yet, and I'll glue them after installing the subfloor.

Attachments

• 20220123_111752.jpg
    20220123_111752.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • plumbing_diagram2.png
    plumbing_diagram2.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks a lot for your response and for your suggestion. much appreciated.

Regarding adding a relief vent after the Toilet2: (Please see the attached diagram/picture)
Unfortunately, there is no room to add a connection for that. That area is mostly fittings with a very small amount of pipe between them --> it seems that cutting any part of that, I will need to redo most of it (at least toilet1, lav1, tub1, toilet2) again!! Only between tub1 and tub2 and Lav2 there is enough pipe to add new fittings.

Does adding a relief vent between tub1 & tub2 help?

Do you know if the current plumbing violates any plumbing code?

Although it is not a good practice, it seems that in Ontario, as an exception, 90 elbows can be used for horizontal to vertical:
" Ontario Code: 7.2.4.3. 90° Elbows 90° elbows of 4 in. size or less in sanitary drainage systems may be used,(a) to change the direction of piping from horizontal to vertical, in the direction of flow"

The flanges has not been glued yet, and I'll glue them after installing the subfloor.
Cant you add a relief vent here
2inch vent here see my photo attached
20220131_140724.jpg

Latest posts

Back