Low Water Pressure and hard water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcdeal

Reaction score
My Subdivision has historically low water pressure and very hard mineralized water. All of my neighbors have booster pumps and water softeners. My house pressure is about 28-38 psi., with no pressure reducer. My project will be done with PEX Blue Hawk, push together plumbing, 3/4 inch.
The recommended/purchased list of items for my project is:

Whole house filter - Whirlpool large capacity
Water Softener - Whirlpool 44K
Booster Pump - Pacific Hydrostar with 25/65 presets

1- Is this the correct order to place the items?
2- Do I need a pressure tank? Many of my neighbors do not have one.
3- I am told that the pump needs a pressure reducer and a check valve, but which goes before and which goes after the pump?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

low pressure sucks

my suggestion is run 1'' pvc sch 40 pipe from the meter to the house.

at the house, install a ball valve in a valve box below grade.

on the house side of the valve, tie in 1'' pex and run it into your house

run a 1'' line straight to the w/h branch off with 1'' to each bathroom

reduce to 3/4 in the bathrooms.

i would not run 1/2'' pex to anything. but would use a 3/4x1/2 reducer at the copper stub outs

why?
research the ID of 1'' pvc sch 40
research the ID of pex
you will find that 3/4 pex is 3/4 OD not ID

bottom line, you are having pressure problems, you want as much VOLUME of water as you can get
so go with a bigger line, to get the volume

My subdivision owns it's own well and gravity feed storage tank. No meters, free water - but bad pressure to all 132 homes. Supply water line is 3/4 inch, buried 6 ft down (it gets cold in the Colorado mountains), so I'm not going to get more water volume. I just have a 3/4 inch line coming into the house. My neighbors have many variations of my planned project, and they mostly work well. I'm using 3/4 inch PEX throughout and will be replacing old pipe as I go - but supplied pressure is too low! ~32 PSI. Home is 40+ years old.

whole-house-detail-with-PUMP-md.jpg

Pay close attention to frodo's recommendation on PEX size. To maintain 3/4" distribution with PEX, you need to go one size over (1" - reduced internal diameter) over PE/PVC/COPPER supply.

frodo - Thanks for the input on PVC and ID measurements. I am now looking at 1" PEX and trading in a lot of fittings.

From my original 3 questions - - -

From KULTULZ's diagram, I read that the booster pump should be first in the series.
Where do the check valve and pressure regulator go?
Does the booster need a tank?

I did it! House supply to all 1 inch PEX and SharkBite fittings, booster pump, whole house filter, water softener, back to house supply. "SharkBite" fittings are NOT leaking. Threaded NPT have some minor dribbles so I am out to get some thread sealant.

Total project: 10 hours labor
2 trips to local Lowe's
Spoke with retired Master Plumber
$ 200 in PEX and SharkBite fittings
+ pump + filter + softener

Total cost ~$1150

Plumbers bid was $2450

Sorry the picture is sideways (corrected for ya)

IMG_1543.jpg

Latest posts

Back