Lost necklace

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsilverm

Reaction score
Hi All. My wife lost a necklace somewhere in the house, and after much looking, I can only imagine it fell down the toilet and was flushed. I used a handheld pinpointer on all the p-traps and it’s definitely not in a trap. I used the pinpointer on identical toilets, and it only goes off in a certain spot on one of them. The same spot on the other toilet yields no signal, where as the spot in the picture attached gives a signal on both sides of the toilet. The pinpointer is on the lowest level of sensitivity, so it’s not going off on the bolt on each side. My question is whether it’s worth pulling the toilet after much use, or is this a spot where it’s not possible for the necklace to reach if it were dropped? Thanks in advance for any assistance! IMG_8092.jpeg

It probably went by the wayside, but if it is an expensive necklace I would pull the toilet and lay it on side and then shine a flashlight
in the drain hole from the bottom. Take a shop vac and suck the water out of the tank and bowl before pulling toilet.. Look inside the shop
vac to make you didn't maybe get lucky and got it out of the bowl. If not then try what I stated above. Good Luck........

I seem to locate my other half's lost necklaces, rings, and cell phones inside the car, in that little damn space between the seat and center console.

I seem to locate my other half's lost necklaces, rings, and cell phones inside the car, in that little damn space between the seat and center console.
Indeed. Also found plenty of lost items there. In this case she put it on for a date and lost it before we even left the house. I’m intrigued by the fact that my pinpointer detects metal in that area when it doesn’t in the same spot on the other toilet which is identical. Not anywhere close to a plumber myself, so I have no idea what might explain that.

How much time lapsed before using the metal finder? How many flushes? It just takes a $5 wax ring replacement and a little time to pull the toilet.
Get going!

I don’t have an answer as to why the detector is sounding but I doubt the necklace is there. Only one way to know for sure though without a camera, take it up and look

How much time lapsed before using the metal finder? How many flushes? It just takes a $5 wax ring replacement and a little time to pull the toilet.
Get going!
It’s been a few days and numerous flushes (normal use). It wasn’t until about today that I’m convinced it went down the toilet, so I used the pinpointer around all the traps and toilets today, and that’s the only anomaly. I suppose I’ll have to give it a go. What could go wrong.. (my famous quote doing much simpler tasks that turned out in disaster).

Is your trash can next to the toilet? Id be dissecting any trash before pulling the toilet. I'd then shake out all the clothing, hampers, washing machine, dryer, Hell, I've been there, done that.
And i guarantee it will be found in the last place you check. (Obviously, of course!)

Is your trash can next to the toilet? Id be dissecting any trash before pulling the toilet. I'd then shake out all the clothing, hampers, washing machine, dryer, Hell, I've been there, done that.
And i guarantee it will be found in the last place you check. (Obviously, of course!)
Haha yes believe me I’ve pulled all trash and possible places it could be in fear that it could possibly leave the house, and can say with certainty it’s down a drain by now. Gone through all laundry, lint trap, etc.. it has to be down a drain unfortunately.

Back