Lift station continuously needing replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahinalaska

Reaction score
We bought our home in 2013. Prior to purchase the original septic system failed inspection so the owners at the time paid to have a completely new leach field, tank, and a lift station (the new system was located up a hill) installed. Within the first year we were there the lift station broke. I don’t remember how exactly, but it broke. Since then we have had to replace the lift station due to breakage almost every single winter. At least once per winter we have to thaw the line although I can’t say for sure if this is because the pump breaks which makes the line thaw of vice versa.

This most recent replacement was purchased Dec 31 and installed Jan 1. The previous pumps impeller had broken off and gone through the casing.
I Stuff just started backing up today and my husband went to check the pump and it was completely busted in half. It’s a cast iron pump and it looks like the bolts between the two sides were completely sheered off.

We don’t use wipes, nothing gets flushed but toilet paper. What could be causing this to happen every.single.winter? We’ve checked with local plumbers but the only thing we’ve been told is to just replace it, no reasoning for this to continue happening, and I’m at my wits end.

We have a lift station in N Minnesota, and it has worked flawlessly for 15 years, and we are gone part of the winter. We bought a sewer blanket that covers the septic tank and lift station. But if you're living in the house the system shouldn't freeze. How cold does it get where you live, and do you have any snow cover? It sounds like it was a poor installation, it's hard to get quality work done anymore.

Last edited:
Back