Leaking outdoor faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sameguy

Reaction score
I have one outdoor frost free faucet that has a hole in the stem (the part that the handle is attached to) that dribbles out water when the water is on. It is probably leaking about a gallon an hour when the water is on. Maybe not that big of a deal but I have a watering timer so in order for that to work the water has to be on all the time. The hole in the stem is drilled, as in its supposed to be there. Is this an easy fix for a relatively handy guy or should I call a pro. Thanks in advance for your help.

x2 on the picture. If it's part of the stem, you might be able to replace just that. If it's the body, hopefully you can access the back side of the pipe to replace it.

You obviously live in a cold weather climate! Take a wrench and remove the stem. Take it to a real hardware store in your area, and get a replacement stem. I believe the pin hole is suppose to be a check valve for freezing conditions, but being from the West Coast, that is all I know about those specific valves.

Just in case you can not find the stem for that one you should be able to find the whole valve and take the stem out of it for yours.

Latest posts

Back