Leak at top of the tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitofplumbing

Reaction score
Hi All, new member here. I used to help my uncle who was a licensed plumber so I know just enough to get myself in trouble!
So I installed this indirect water heater off the boiler back in 2006. It's a Techtanium TT40. It just started leaking from the top along the plastic. It's a slow pooling leak. It does not look like it's coming from the nipple where it screws into the heater but from deeper within.

Is there any fix or do I need to sped $1300 for a new one?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Thomas

1000008959.jpg

Normally a tank leak shows up at the bottom.
Plumbing wise, I would first redo the tank nipple after cutting out the hard piped connection and installing a WH flex line to the top.
If you have wrenches, you could consider push fit (ie Sharkbite) flex connector or male adapters. But you will have learning curve time vs calling a plumber.

Normally a tank leak shows up at the bottom.
Plumbing wise, I would first redo the tank nipple after cutting out the hard piped connection and installing a WH flex line to the top.
If you have wrenches, you could consider push fit (ie Sharkbite) flex connector or male adapters. But you will have learning curve time vs calling a plumber.
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. I'm thinking of using a brass union along with the flex hose so that if it becomes necessary to change the tank it would be easier to disconnect and connect to the new heater. Make sense?

Also, are you talking about a 3/4 MIP to 3/4 FIP stainless steel water heater supply line? Everbilt has one at Home Depot.

Latest posts

Back