Lawn Chairs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even stop at simple things, I am one of those guys that will attempt anything and everything and I gotta say it has really helped me in life knowing how to do stuff.

I completely agree. When I bought my first house when I was 18 years old, I had lots of ambition but not two nickels in my pocket. I learned by reading alot, watching others, and my own failures. Some of my biggest failures were using roofing shingles on an interior wall, using 2'x4's, 18 feet long, as a patio cover (yep, it sagged within a month!) and lots of "Z" Brick, which was a bugger to remove. My best failure was believing it was unnecessary to use a level when installing tile on my bathroom wall. By the time I finished at the opposite wall, the tile had dropped about a foot. It was certainly a conversation piece! :eek:

I like to learn from other people's mistakes, so a big THANK YOU goes out to you havasu for letting me know why I should use that level more often! :D

I will have some pics of our garage remodel up in the next week or so. I already painted the walls, repainted the trim, used my LEVEL to straighten up the leaning metal shelves, and this weekend it is epoxy floor time!!! and hopefully time left over to make the doors/skin to cover the metal shelves, and make/buy/find/acquire something to cover the nook were there water heater is located...

I have learned that a level is one of the best tools you could ever use in building, even a crappy job looks good to the eye if the lines are straight and things are level.

the other great trick i have learned recently is that in absence of a table saw, to let Home Depot make the long cuts on plywood, instead of working it myself with a circ saw...

the other great trick i have learned recently is that in absence of a table saw, to let Home Depot make the long cuts on plywood, instead of working it myself with a circ saw...

That right there is a great tip, provided they measure correctly.

They never do but I still don't want to dig out the table saw so I let them screw it up for me.

I figure, their straight cut being off by 1/8" either way, it always gonna be better than my wavy skilsaw cut that goes 1/8" off BOTH ways...

I had a piece cut two days ago and the guy didn't turn the panel saw enough to lock it in so as he cut it started at 9-1/2" and went to 9-3/4 and then back to 9-1/2" and finally locked itself in. When I asked him to cut a new piece he said their policy was 1/4" +- so I would have to buy the second piece of wood. What happened to people and giving a 100% all the time?

That's insane! You'd think that a guy who never graduated 8th grade and making minimum wage would be more caring! :p

LOL!

Actually, I have had good luck using the factory edge of a piece of plywood as a guide for a circular saw.

Never works out quite that well for me... HD did a good job cutting this time, and the panels all ended up within about 1/8" of each other... not enough to notice....

I've heard mixed trhings about letting HD cut your boards. One person told me it was great. The other one said the kid messed it all up.

I've heard mixed trhings about letting HD cut your boards. One person told me it was great. The other one said the kid messed it all up.

the last few guys that cut mine were older and more experienced looking guys... definetly not their first experience with a table saw...

I've seen a lot more older guys at HD lately. I guess it's a sign of the times.

Latest posts

Back