Kohler Rochelle irritating leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a copy of my email reply to Harryinca (Jack in Sacramento); I am posting it since it might be helpful to anyone else who has a similar problem:
The replacement parts should be positioned under the cap in the photo where the tank ball pivot is located. All you have to do is remove the two stainless steel screws, remove the cap, replace the parts (I think it was a plastic plunger and a diaphragm but I can't remember exactly what the parts were), replace the cap, and you're in business. Duck soup. Good luck.

Thanks! So you are talking about these two screws? Do you have to lift the entire fill valve out in order to replace that 3/4 valve wrapped in black?
I have already had experience removing the screw that regulates the diaphragm height. I haven't tried removing that screw in the center, but it looked to
me like the whole assembly goes all the way to the bottom of the tank. So when you say the "cap" comes off, it's just the copper top to the left of the piece with the two screws?

Attachments

• two screws.jpg
    two screws.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
This is a copy of my email reply to Harryinca (Jack in Sacramento); I am posting it since it might be helpful to anyone else who has a similar problem:
The replacement parts should be positioned under the cap in the photo where the tank ball pivot is located. All you have to do is remove the two stainless steel screws, remove the cap, replace the parts (I think it was a plastic plunger and a diaphragm but I can't remember exactly what the parts were), replace the cap, and you're in business. Duck soup. Good luck.

Were you replacing the white valve on the right, or the 3/4 valve wrapped in black, on the left?

Attachments

• two screws.jpg
    two screws.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 15
The subject valve (I think it's called the ball cock) is under the pivot arm for the tank float; it is the assembly to the right in the photo, situated on top of the white plastic tube. Turn off the water and flush the toilet. Now you can manipulate the arm that leads to the black water level tank float. As you lift the float arm, you will notice that it pivots on top of the white tube, and as it pivots, it activates a plunger . That plunger is what you will be replacing. To get to it, you remove the two screws that secure the pivot cap (the upper end of the tank float where it pivots on the cap). Once you remove the two screws, you replace the pivot and diaphragm. It's been so long, that I can't remember if there is a diaphragm that is also replaced, but definitely, the plunger is in the kit (sorry, I'm an old guy). Just replace whatever is in the kit and put it back together and secure it with the two screws, and you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Thank you, David! I haven't tried this yet, as I'm actually asking for my parents, who are not confident they can do the replacement you've described by themselves. But it looks like it will involve taking the parts in this package and putting them into that white tube on the right in this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 21
Correct. Once you take off the two screws that secure the pivot assembly, all the parts that have to replaced are right there, just under the cover that you just removed. The plastic plunger, the circular gasket, and the diaphragm are what allows the valve to shut off, once the arm is raised when it is lifted by the float. The aforementioned items , once activated by the motion of the float arm, are what shuts off the inflow of water. Once you remove the two screws, you will see how simple it all works together. What has most likely happened, is that these parts have worn out over time, so they are now leaking. The worst thing that can happen is that you end up calling a plumber; but chances are, that once you replace the parts, the problem will disappear. It is not nearly as complex as you think. You are overthinking the problem. Just remove the cap and replace the parts; you have nothing to lose. Good luck.

Not sure if I ever posted the result. But this fix worked! No more leaking into the toilet bowl from tank. Amazing that it was just worn out plastic part inside the fill valve. Thank you!!!

I was wondering if you ever attempted to replace the plunger. Glad it worked!
Aloha.

Latest posts

Back