Kitchen Sink - Shut Off Valve Change - DIY

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziberteck

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm gathering together the knowhow and materials needed to change out the fittings under my kitchen sink. (They work fine, but the insurance company thinks they look too corroded)
Wanted to make sure I had my ducks in a row from people who would know.

The existing shut off valves appear to be soldered on.
I've researched how to remove them.
Seems like I need to take a torch to them and pull off with a wrench/grip to remove the existing ones.
Then sand/clean off the existing solder.

I'm planning to replace them with compression valves, as that appears to be easier to work with.

That part will probably be harder to do than to say, but I think I get the jist of what to do.

The part that I'm unsure of is the connections between the shut off valves and the sink inlets.
There is a connection on both of them, presumably for the dish washer.
The hot water has a copper tube connecting to a T-shape connector which has a small length of copper tubbing that connects to the shut off valve.
That section is looking rather corroded/unpleasant and will probably need to be replaced at the same time; So I'm wondering the best way to tackle that.
Not sure if I should expect a compression fitting where the, I believe 3/8s, copper tube meets the T shape connector; and if so, what to do about replacing it.
Also, wasn't sure what the best option for replacing the section between the T-Connector and the shut off Valve. I doubt I should reused the copper piping, but not sure what would be a suitable replacement.

hot_water.jpg

The cold water side also has a connection, but it doesn't look nearly as bad, so I'm probably going to leave it as is; Just changing out the shut off valve.
However, I wanted to show it here, incase there's something that I might be missing.
cold_water.jpg
Thank you for all potential help.

Back