Kitchen sink keeps coming up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Rico

Reaction score
I've lived in this townhouse since 2018. A couple years ago the insinkerator would back up into the left sink when used. It wasn't that bad, so I figured I would replace it in the future. I rarely use the insinkerator and I have traps over the drains so food doesn't go down. It has gotten pretty bad now so I decided to change the insinkerator. Taking all the pipes apart I find the p trap and main drain pipe are horribly disgusting and filled with sludge. I got an auger and got everything out of the p-trap and everything I could out of the main drain pipe to the sewer. Now when I run water in the insinkerator on the right sink, it still comes up to the left and leaks at the white slip nut. Can anyone help?

pic for reference, I did not tighten slipnuts, as I am considering changing the pipes to new ones.
1000013525.jpg

The drain is still partially clogged.

Replace the slip joint washer in that leaking joint and tighten.

The drain is still partially clogged.

Replace the slip joint washer in that leaking joint and tighten.
I plan to get new pipes and washers as they are cheap and these are old anyway. How would I Clean the drain? Auger more or get a jetter? Could I use a pressure washer?

I use a good cable to clean the drain. I’d take the PTraP off to do this.

How far is the main from the pipe I see there under the cabinet ? What kind of fittings are beyond what I can see…….? It’s ok 👌 if you don’t know. I’d rather you not speculate.

Wow, is that a solid bronze p trap? Impressive, I didn't know they even made those. I know commercial grade bronze pipe fittings exist, but this appears to be the residential supply company NIBCO that makes the smaller copper pipe stuff. I always struggle to get plastic/PVC p traps to not leak so I may have to start using these!

I use a good cable to clean the drain. I’d take the PTraP off to do this.

How far is the main from the pipe I see there under the cabinet ? What kind of fittings are beyond what I can see…….? It’s ok 👌 if you don’t know. I’d rather you not speculate.
I'm not sure and I don't want to guess.

Wow, is that a solid bronze p trap? Impressive, I didn't know they even made those. I know commercial grade bronze pipe fittings exist, but this appears to be the residential supply company NIBCO that makes the smaller copper pipe stuff. I always struggle to get plastic/PVC p traps to not leak so I may have to start using these!
Not sure if this ptrap is helping or hurting me. I'm having issues with the draining and leaks. I haven't figured it all out yet but I'm going to try and change the pipes, ptrap, slip joint nut and washers and see where I get. Probably after I clean the main drain pipe first or get a company to do that.

Get the drain from where it goes into the wall to where it ties into the main drain cleaned out.. Then change the piping under
the sink if you want.

Latest posts

Back