Is this water valve open or closed position

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustKi11ingTime

Reaction score
Hello,
I am uploading two images...i think this is shut off for the outside faucet, i am not 100% sure....i am hoping it is. I need to shut it off for the winter. I have lived in this house for 6 years, never done it and knock on wood, no issues yet. Just learned i needed to have it shut off for winter. Its kind of hard for me to tell if its on or off since how the pipes are running but i am 90% sure this is already shut off since its perpendicular to the valve. Can an expert please take a look and advise if (1) it is shut off position and not on on position and (2) possibly know if this looks like shut off for the outdoor faucet. I know you probably can't tell other than that its a shut off for a waterline, I am hoping the way plumbing is designed, maybe there is a way to tell. There are no other shut off valves that i can find. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20231022_092923.jpg
    20231022_092923.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231022_092953.jpg
    20231022_092953.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Does your toilet flush/fill when that valve is turned like the pic? Do your sinks turn off? Is your water heater turned off? Do the faucets in the yards turn off when you flip that lever?

The valve in the picture is off.

Why don’t you go to the faucet you think it controls and turn it on and off.

The valve in the picture is off.

Why don’t you go to the faucet you think it controls and turn it on and off.
Thank you for the replies, good point....its really old looking on the outside and stiff to touch...i don't want to break it trying to turn it on/off as i think and you advised that the indoor shut off valve maybe already off position...this facet has never been used by me since i have lived in this house and i think it maybe been already turned off by the previous owners which explains why the line hasn't leaked during last 6 winters.

Latest posts

Back