Is this dangerous?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew.lees84

Reaction score
I recently moved into a house and discovered that there is a pipe above my fuse box. I was wondering if this is dangerous? Even if it's not dangerous, would this likely cause an issue with getting an electrical inspection safety certificate?

Attachments

• 20220510_190226.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 41
Did the electrican mount his box the, or were both things there when you moved in, I can't see any glue on the pipe and fittings, and it looks like very thin walled fittings,but I'm looking at it on a phone so I could be wrong

Both things were there when I moved in. I think that the electrical installation was in place before the plumbing. I'm not sure if it was a professional plumber who installed the pipe or if it was a DIY job.

Do you think that the violates installation regulations?

I've seen worse but those two are not supposed to be near each other, I bet there was no permit for one or the other, electrical inspector wouldn't allow a service near piping
And the plumbing inspector wouldn't allow the pipe to be over or next to the service

Do you think then that a simple fix here would be to move the electrical work further down the wall so that it's further from the plumbing? To me that seems like a fairly straightforward job for a qualified electrician to perform.

Years back there was no code that prevented that. I live in Atlanta and my home was built in 1984 and the waste pipe from one of the upstairs bathrooms come directly down over the center of my panel. When I went to inquire about upgrading my service the electrician said county will require me to move the panel as newer codes do not allow any plumbing over the panel. Sure enough I send a pic to the county electrical inspector and he said I would need to move the panel to pass inspection on upgraded service.

Here is my unfortunate setup, built this way and to code in 1984, where in GA code was barely in existence.

1652281059427.png1652281119606.png

The electrical looks like it was approved on 11-6-2014, so I'd bet the plumbing was installed without a permit. Can you tell what fixtures are connected to these lines?

Back