Is this a condensation issue?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pinvidic

Reaction score
I changed the anode on my 7 year old Bradford White electric water heater. It was completely gone.
My normal trick is to stuff a paper towel between the outlet nipple and insulation to see if there is a leak.
There was a leak and after several attempts over several days to stop the leak I finally used a tap to clean the threads and I am pretty sure the leak is gone.
However....each morning there is about 1/8" of water in the bottom tray. When I remove the water and dry the tray, is stays dry for the entire day,
but then the next morning I find water again. It appears that each day there is less water, but I can't be positive.

I am thinking that the insulation has gotten soaked from the earlier leark and at night the water is condensing on the metal sides of the heater and going into the tray.

Does this sound like a valid assumption.....has anyone seen this before.

Thanks,
Dan

I have a Rheem heater and I do not believe the foam insulation used absorbs water ..... however if your anode was leaking it could be residual water collected between voids of the insulation and inner tank.
(think rust)

Something is not right. Remove the insulation and let it dry out for a few days While doing so, find the leak and repair it.

Sorry, I was visualizing the add on insulation wrap added to the W/H after installation.

During the leak fixing process, I cut a 3 inch square out of the top metal around the outlet nippler.
This allowed me to push the fiberglass insulation away from the nipple. Feeling around with my finger it appears to stay dry.

I appreciate everyone thoughts on this....it is frustrating

Attachments

• 20240403_144720.jpg
    20240403_144720.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
So .... the Bradford White units have internal fiberglass insulation ....... if so your thoughts are valid.......... And I will never consider them an option.

Water heaters do condensate. So the water you’re finding may be condensation, especially if you make long draws of hot water or deplete the tank completely.

Just to give a little more info. I have a 6 year old house.
It had 2 Bradford White 50gal heaters in series (don't ask my why).
Back in sept. Water started leaking from one of the heaters.
I did not explore where it was coming from, but called Bradford and they gave me a new heater.
I picked up the heater, but it is just sitting in the mechanical closet, not connected. For two people, one heater is fine.
Anyway, it turns out that the bottom electrode had corroded so much that it was no longer water-tite. and that was the source of the leak.
I could have fixed it by replacing the electrode.
So recently I decided to check the anode on the remaining heater, and all of the zinc, AND the supporting wire were gone.

Suffice to say I am not impressed with Bradford White. But this is what the builder uses. At least I have a brand new heater on stand-by

I'm a little confused as to why you are not impressed with Bradford White. The anode did what it was supposed to do until it got used up, the absence of it is probably why you developed a leak, and possibly the reason the bottom heating element failed, and you got a new water heater from them.

The rate of anode corrosion is heavily due to water condition and not on anode quality. And when the sacrificial anode is gone, the corrosion is then focused on the wetted internal metal parts of the water heater.

I'm a little confused as to why you are not impressed with Bradford White. The anode did what it was supposed to do until it got used up, the absence of it is probably why you developed a leak, and possibly the reason the bottom heating element failed, and you got a new water heater from them.

The rate of anode corrosion is heavily due to water condition and not on anode quality. And when the sacrificial anode is gone, the corrosion is then focused on the wetted internal metal parts of the water heater.
I really expected to have the water heaters last more than 6 years. Maybe since I am in AZ with very hard city water, the life of the heater is expected to be lower. Since the 2nd heater had the anode completely gone I am sure the first one also had no anode left, which probably contributed to the heater element leaking.
I was also surprised that the warranty was only 6 yrs....but after research, most heaters seem to have a 6 yr warranty.

You are right.....getting a new heater was a good deal

When the bottom element quits working the bottom of the tank stays cold and element shrinks a little which can cause it to leak a little. It’s just a square cut washer that makes the seal. I see that regularly.

When the bottom element quits working the bottom of the tank stays cold and element shrinks a little which can cause it to leak a little. It’s just a square cut washer that makes the seal. I see that regularly.
Actually a large portion of the outer sleeve which covers the element was eaten away. It looked to me that the leak was coming from the electrical screw terminal.

Actually a large portion of the outer sleeve which covers the element was eaten away. It looked to me that the leak was coming from the electrical screw terminal.
Ok, it can of course leak there also but that’s nothing to do with the tank itself.

A heating element is basically a lightbulb, it can blow for several reasons that’s no fault of it’s own.

Ok, it can of course leak there also but that’s nothing to do with the tank itself.

A heating element is basically a lightbulb, it can blow for several reasons that’s no fault of it’s own.
Absolutely.....and today is a good day. It is the first day that the pan was dry in the morning.
So hopefully with the new anode and new elements & stat, I will get a few more years out of this one.

Thanks for everyone input,

Latest posts

Back