Is SDR Piping Allowed Under Slab?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a long run of 6" pipe (900 ft) under a warehouse slab and the client is wanting to use SDR under slab, I'm assuming because it is cheaper.
- Does the IPC permit SDR type pipe under slab?
- Will there be a problem running cleanouts up from this type of pipe to the slab every 100 ft throughout the warehouse? I really don't know anything about this pipe.
- Anything else I should be aware of for this design?

Thanks!

IPC 2018 allows the following for underground sewer piping.

1700067138585.png

But just because it is allowed doesn't mean it is best practice.

DR (AKA SDR) PVC piping is made out of the same materials as the scheduled PVC piping. It is "pressure rated", which simply meaning that all pipe sizes have the same pressure rating. Schedule 40 PVC piping has higher ratings in the smaller sizes than in the larger sizes. DR PVC piping has thinner wall thicknesses than Schedule 40 PVC pipe making it more flexible, but also making the critical collapse pressure lower for the DR sized pipe.

So, while DR 22 and DR 24 PVC pipe is allowed, I would still recommend Schedule 40 for underground sewer lines.

Use sch 40 or walk, that is stupid for a client to even ask such a question. Sch 40 foam or solid or cast iron for hot applications

Use sch 40 or walk, that is stupid for a client to even ask such a question. Sch 40 foam or solid or cast iron for hot applications
In the real world we live in, seemingly everyone (not the pros here!) from customers to licensed plumbers to builders are always trying to do things CHEAPER but not better and rarely with thought to long term consequences.

I see this all the time and every pro here has horror stories of fixing the result of a “thrifted” project. Just do it right.

And it is nearly always the builders. They are the harbinger of cheapness. We as plumbing professionals rarely take the cheap way out, as it is always cheaper to do it right the first time. "Right" is the questionable term.

I’ve had people ( homeowners ) driving $250,000 worth of cars and living in a 5 million dollar house knit pick over a $500 estimate.

No thanks, call someone else.

Same with some contractors/builders. Cheap is never cheap enough.

I’ve had a few think I’m suppose to do warranty work for free on faucets they supplied. Steadily telling me how much they paid for it……..Like it matters to me 🤣

I’ve had people ( homeowners ) driving $250,000 worth of cars and living in a 5 million dollar house knit pick over a $500 estimate.

No thanks, call someone else.

Same with some contractors/builders. Cheap is never cheap enough.

I’ve had a few think I’m suppose to do warranty work for free on faucets they supplied. Steadily telling me how much they paid for it……..Like it matters to me 🤣
i am having the same issue with bad shower valve cartridges

Is it possible that with providing a receipt, a homeowner could submit and receive a payment reimbursement from a company with an item with a lifetime warranty?

Has this ever happened?

Is it possible that with providing a receipt, a homeowner could submit and receive a payment reimbursement from a company with an item with a lifetime warranty?

Has this ever happened?

I’ve had customers that have spent thousands at plumbing showrooms and then one of the faucets be defective. The showroom picked up the bill to have me replace it. Sometimes manufacturers will pay labor, depends on the situation and the relationship you have with that product.

I know a plumber who installed a lot of one particular brand water heaters and they had a component that was prone to failure. The manufacturer paid his labor for all of his call backs and provided the new part.

American standard paid me to replace a crap ton of the first generation champion flush valve towers

Latest posts

Back