Is Plumbers’ Putty Passe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawsaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installing a new Delta faucet in the bathroom, which hasn’t bren do e for years. The instructions state to apply silicone to the flange. Dies this mean plumbers putty has gone by the wayside? What implications does this have for the potential need to remove the flange in the future?
Thanks for commentary!

Some plumbers putty can stain. If you use silicone then one day it’ll have to be cleaned off.

Installing a new Delta faucet in the bathroom, which hasn’t bren do e for years. The instructions state to apply silicone to the flange. Dies this mean plumbers putty has gone by the wayside? What implications does this have for the potential need to remove the flange in the future?
Thanks for commentary!
I believe plumber's putty is still the best. Easy to use, easy to remove...

The last sets of new faucets I've installed (all of them) have all come with "pop up" drains--push to seal, push to open. No more skewers poking into the drain tube, no more pull up skewers behind the faucet (some of which don't work when they remodel with a thick stone backsplash), no more adjusting the connection points, no more complaints about it not working, no plumber's putty and no silicone.

What a revolutionary idea! A RUBBER GASKET!

The last sets of new faucets I've installed (all of them) have all come with "pop up" drains--push to seal, push to open. No more skewers poking into the drain tube, no more pull up skewers behind the faucet (some of which don't work when they remodel with a thick stone backsplash), no more adjusting the connection points, no more complaints about it not working, no plumber's putty and no silicone.

You still have to seal the pop up flange to the lavatory. Putty or silicone.

Some manufactures. give a foam gasket at that point but it’s inferior and gets tossed. The joint I’m speaking of will allow water to drain out of your lavatory when you’re trying to use the stopper to keep water in the bowl.

2A26B6D1-D545-4B05-AAAC-E10A9E7CFFCB.jpeg

I too like those pop up stoppers. No more rods to adjust, no more hair that clogs on the rods.
The hair clogs on the mechanism all the same.

There’s no free lunch. Plumbers like to design crap so it keeps us busy. 😉😬

It’s all baked into the cake 🤣

You still have to seal the pop up flange to the lavatory. Putty or silicone.

No, not really. They come with a gasket specifically designed to avoid using putty, caulk or silicone from a tube. See photo. They do this basically to facilitate easy installation from a homeowner, who may be uncomfortable using these “goops”. Some gaskets may be foam, some rubber or silicone. If a plumber chooses to throw the gasket out, that’s their decision. Many of these drain assemblies are all plastic and putty isn’t supposed to be used on plastic.

Also, since there isn’t a rod poking horizontally into the drain and there isn’t a 4” long, 4-sided drain stop going down to the rod, as pointed out there’s less place for hair to collect.

You may think it’s a gimmick but many think it’s a nice improvement over the old school way.

Attachments

• IMG_4499.jpeg
    IMG_4499.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 0
No, not really. They come with a gasket specifically designed to avoid using putty, caulk or silicone from a tube. See photo. They do this basically to facilitate easy installation from a homeowner, who may be uncomfortable using these “goops”. Some gaskets may be foam, some rubber or silicone. If a plumber chooses to throw the gasket out, that’s their decision. Many of these drain assemblies are all plastic and putty isn’t supposed to be used on plastic.

Also, since there isn’t a rod poking horizontally into the drain and there isn’t a 4” long, 4-sided drain stop going down to the rod, as pointed out there’s less place for hair to collect.

You may think it’s a gimmick but many think it’s a nice improvement over the old school way.
That gasket sucks and I’ll tell you why. It either doesn’t seal, only seals for a couple years or it creates a ridge at the drain where it contacts the sink. Some manufacturers acknowledge this and that’s why a gasket isn’t included. If a drain isn’t compatible with putty then you use silicone.

I’ve removed more than I could count.

I clean them regularly, I cleaned hair from 4 of those pop up drains last week.

They’re designed to catch hair so the user can clean it. If it’s not caught it can go further down the drain where you would need a cable to clear it.

The rod and stopper can be set up where the stopper is removable for cleaning. It’s called the captured or non captured stopper install position. The captured method is used where some users may take and discard the stopper.

Last edited:
So you’re trying to tell me that this contraption doesn’t catch hair.

2BB91819-376B-47F1-9120-B58132965A23.jpeg

Here’s the best pop up drain that’s available off the shelf for the past 50 years. It’s went through some minor changes but nothing too significant.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Delta-R...MImdmT3N_ahAMVZDjUAR1tmgSwEAQYASABEgLV3vD_BwE

These drains will easily last over 30 yrs. and I have countless that I’ve installed that have 25 yrs + in service and still functioning.

Last edited:

RE: Pop-up drains
I have these on all 4 of my bathroom sinks. I love the clean look but find that the pop-up part doesn't come up as smoothly after a while (still better than the rod lol). I'll add some plumbers grease and it's smooth again for a few more months. Anything last longer than plumbers grease? Not looking to replace the entire piston. Thanks for your experience!

Last edited:
I like how you say it’s better than the rod but yours doesn’t work correctly.

But mine with a rod that are good quality and professionally installed are 25 yrs old and they work like new. And I can still get parts if I needed them.

The general publics idea of what’s good and what is actually good is usually way off. They buy on looks and price or they’re sold by a salesman on what’s good or bad that’s never installed a drain in their life. Or one or two good/bad experiences from a weekend warrior negates the hundreds of experiences of drains that I’ve installed or worked on. I’ve literally done this everyday for almost 40 yrs.

But like they say, everyone has their opinion.

Those plastic popups are not very good in my opinion. Install a good Dearborn Brass and you can't go wrong. When
you install a lav faucet now a days they come with those cheap popups and you have no choice but to install them. I also
throw away those gaskets that they want you to use.

I always toss those rubber gaskets too. They're too thick and makes the flange sit proud of the sink causing water to always puddle around it. The only drain i use silicone on are showers, everything else is putty.

I always toss those rubber gaskets too. They're too thick and makes the flange sit proud of the sink causing water to always puddle around it. The only drain i use silicone on are showers, everything else is putty.
Exactly, that’s the ridge I spoke about where it contacts the sink and it holds water just like we know 👍

Latest posts

Back