inserting dishwasher into kitchen

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeboy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a duplex, and I'd like to get a dishwasher into my half, but the space is limited (see pics). Currently there is a gas oven on the left (which I hate, prefer electric), but no space for a dishwasher.

Has anyone ever taken out an oven to put in a dishwasher before? I'm not sure how to get counter space above the dishwasher once it's in there.

Also, if I had to put the oven (or another oven) somewhere else, is an island nearby good, or is it ok to have it across the room? There is no space currently near the sink on that side of the room for an oven (doorway on one side, floor-depth window on another side).

Thanks,
Dan

upstairs_kitchensink 002.jpg

upstairs_kitchensink 001.jpg

I'm sure it's been done, but my question would be, "why?" Most people need ovens and stoves to cook. Dishwashers are only a luxury item which are not even needed. Dishes are easily handwashed. My suggestion to you would be to consider a portable dishwasher, which can be rolled into location when needed, and rolled away when not needed.

When considering placement or your appliances, most designers use the triangle configuration. There should be a somewhat easy few steps between your stove, refrigerator and sink, all configured in a triangle. This makes the movement between the most used appliances an easy flow. Yes, there are other options available, but the triangle works best. For confirmation on this pattern, ask any person who spends long hours in the kitchen (like my wife, not me!)

Hi all,
Yes I agree about the dishwasher - I never had one for 30 years of my life but I now live with a germaphobe who used to have a portable but she wants a built-in one. Good point about the triangle, I never thought of that.

Thanks,
Dan

I don't recomend getting rid of an oven but if you are the type that never uses it or even cooks much than it's your place and I say go for it. So with that in mind you could get rid of the oven/stove and extend the counter top adding one of those counter mount stoves that only sit a couple inches deep and then mount the dishwasher below it in the ovens original home. Once again this is not something I would do but I do know people who have never even turned an oven on in their life so they wouldn't have a use for it.

Back