Identify Septic pipes!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgonz244

Reaction score
Hello,

I am ataching an image of our septic where it enters our home. Can someone please identify the pipes for me PLEASE!!. There is trap/vent with a orange cap on the far left. In the middle is the main line where our sink, shower and toilets drain into. The next two pipes on the right are capped and maybe they could be cleanouts of some sort.

Any help identifying these is much appreciated.

Note: our washer is getting dumped to our sump basin. could the pipe with the orange cap be where they used to drain the washer?

someone i know said this is an old style vent.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• Septic.jpg
    Septic.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1
doubtful anyone can shed any light. A much better photo would be better

You are correct.
That is where the washer should drain.
I suspect there's a problem with the septic system and they took the laundry water out of the picture.
In most area's of the Country this is illegal.

You are correct.
That is where the washer should drain.
I suspect there's a problem with the septic system and they took the laundry water out of the picture.
In most area's of the Country this is illegal.
Hi Bob,

Now how would one tell if the problem was resolved. Should i just hook the wash drain back up and hope for the best?

I did pour a few cups down the line and nothing is holding it up.

Any ideas on what u might think would be best?

Thanks!!!

Hello,

I am ataching an image of our septic where it enters our home. Can someone please identify the pipes for me PLEASE!!. There is trap/vent with a orange cap on the far left. In the middle is the main line where our sink, shower and toilets drain into. The next two pipes on the right are capped and maybe they could be cleanouts of some sort.

Any help identifying these is much appreciated.

Note: our washer is getting dumped to our sump basin. could the pipe with the orange cap be where they used to drain the washer?

someone i know said this is an old style vent.

Thanks,
Jim
Vents don’t have a trap. It’s most likely the old washer drain.

Vents don’t have a trap. It’s most likely the old washer drain.
Hi twowax,

Im thinking the people either had a septic issue. Were to lazy to plumb it back up after moving the wash to the first floor or something.

You think i should hook it back up and see how it goes? I just really want this washer off the sump basin.

Hi twowax,

Im thinking the people either had a septic issue. Were to lazy to plumb it back up after moving the wash to the first floor or something.

You think i should hook it back up and see how it goes? I just really want this washer off the sump basin.
Try it and see. I suggest installing an outlet filter if you don’t have one. You’d need to open the inspection lid on the outlet side to check.

Try it and see. I suggest installing an outlet filter if you don’t have one. You’d need to open the inspection lid on the outlet side to check.
Could you post an image of an outlet filter for reference.

Twowax you have been such great help!

Is the washer still on the first floor? If it is, the distance from the first floor to that trap is too far.

No standpipe receptor for a clothes washer shall extend more than 30 inches (762 mm), or not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above its trap.

Here's a thought...On older houses, it's not super uncommon to have the washer drain into the yard. That black pipe on the right may not be connected to the septic.

Older houses are kinda fun to try and figure out what happened over the years. All that white PVC was added at some point and connected via the rubber Fernco coupling.

One totally unnecessary comment...You said, "I am attaching an image of our septic where it enters our home." Ideally, you want the waste discharge to exit your home not enter.

Is the washer still on the first floor? If it is, the distance from the first floor to that trap is too far.

No standpipe receptor for a clothes washer shall extend more than 30 inches (762 mm), or not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above its trap.

Here's a thought...On older houses, it's not super uncommon to have the washer drain into the yard. That black pipe on the right may not be connected to the septic.

Older houses are kinda fun to try and figure out what happened over the years. All that white PVC was added at some point and connected via the rubber Fernco coupling.

One totally unnecessary comment...You said, "I am attaching an image of our septic where it enters our home." Ideally, you want the waste discharge to exit your home not enter.
@RonVan i get what you are saying but im curious why it cant be above a certain point?

Our washer is about 25ft from this stand pipe and would run down 4 ft through the floor and run 20+ ft to this stand pipe. Id simply attach a 90 with about 3-4ft of vertical pipe to another fernco.

Does that not sound like a good idea? Im not totally opposed to draining to yard but would like to use the existing pipe.

You just need to move the trap up to within 30” of the washer standpipe. Then the pipe can do whatever you want after that (keeping a 1/4” per foot drop on horizontal runs). You can only have one trap so you’ll have to remove the existing one.

@RonVan i measured exactly how high it would be from bottom of trap to the top and it would be 34 inches give or take. that 4 inches shouldn't matter correct?

i do have 1/4 inch of slope per foot along the horizontal run which helps with the 30 inch issue. it being a few more inches than 30 should be ok right?

Thanks for finding this information for me again!

Latest posts

Back