I may have an issue in my hands. Advice please.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt30

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hello gents.

As we all know. Some of the jobs we get into are not ideal. They don't go smooth, somebody jumps the gun and puts stuff in our way and we have the frustrating task of working around other people's mistakes.

So, this all starts with a tub. Long story short, I did the plumbing for this family's basement bathroom. They likes my work, and requested that only I do their work from now on. So, now they want me involved in their 2 other bathrooms. No problem, happy to do it.

The issue we ran into, was when they wanted to do the new tub I was away on vacation. So they said no big deal, the carpenter can put the tub in place and I can plumb it from below later, no problem.

There were a few issues. The carpenter did not cut a hole in the floor for my drain, and he put the cement board up for the tub surround, taped/muddled it. It's basically ready for tile, and there's no shower control in the wall. Well, I don't have to tell you that a 2 hour job turned into a 6 hour job, but I got the rough in done with no damage to the tub or cement board, it all looks like it's meant to be.

I aim for perfection, but sometimes it's just not possible, so here's my problem. Due to the space I have to work, and the minimal support I had to mount my control (it's still good and sturdy, Frodo could do a chin up off it), the control sits in the wall a little more then I would like, and the screws for the trim plate are kind of short, they seem shorter than most actually.

So, by trying to be the nice guy and have an over come and persevere attitude, there's a possibility the trim screws MIGHT come up short after tile. I measured it out like 10 times, they should bite, but I want to have a game plan ready just in case. So, what can I do here? The screws are a rubbed bronze finish, so I don't think just getting longer screws will be easy. I was thinking of gearing up some kind of coupling with another set of screws, maybe silfos them together. Just wanted to see what someone else has maybe done in this situation.

Thanks!

depending on the valve model. they make deep rough trim kits for most tub valves

usually consist of longer handle stem and longer face plate bolts/screws

if all you need is longer screws. take the old to hardware, buy 2 1/2'' longer or what ever is needed.

i would be more concerned with the handle rubbing the face plate or barrel

i have, hate to admit it, sanded off an 1/8'' of the handle if it rubbed

Last edited:
Roughly holding everything up, the handle rubbing doesn't look like it will be an issue. The nose of this valve sticks out quite far. Maybe I will have a deep rough on hand just in case. I kind of forgot about that option. Thanks!

Roughly holding everything up, the handle rubbing doesn't look like it will be an issue. The nose of this valve sticks out quite far. Maybe I will have a deep rough on hand just in case. I kind of forgot about that option. Thanks!

for your truck stock, buy some 001.JPG

this stuff is cool as heck,,,use this flux, and you can solder just about any thing, all thread rod, those bolts you had to fix.

grinning-smiley-003.gif

You have concern for the quality of your work, something that is generally lacking today.

I would tip my hat but the glare might take out your screen... :(

Thanks! I do take great pride in whatever I'm building. Wheather working on my vehicles/toys or work I want it done right. I guess I can blame my dad for that, he's the ultimate perfectionist.

Pretty much the point of this thread was I wanted a back up plan to present to the customer if it didn't work out. Nothing is more off putting to a customer when the guy they hired "doesn't know".

But hey, even if it didn't work out, I know there's a handful of great minds, and frodo, on this forum to bounce ideas off of. Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back