Hot water?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob68

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought a Rheem water heater about 6 yrs ago. Its in the out side garage (separate building) about 35ft from kitchen sink. The problem is it literally takes 2-3mins to heat up in the sink. I have it to the max temp on the water heater and seems it didnt even get any hotter either. Any thoughts?

My water heater is 75' from the kitchen sink. I added a Grundfos recirculating pump to allow me instant hot water to the sink. There are several threads on this topic scattered about this forum.

Hello all, I bought a Rheem water heater about 6 yrs ago. Its in the out side garage (separate building) about 35ft from kitchen sink. The problem is it literally takes 2-3mins to heat up in the sink. I have it to the max temp on the water heater and seems it didnt even get any hotter either. Any thoughts?
Turn the cold water off to the water heater and then open a hot faucet. The pressure should bleed down and the water should stop. Make sure that’s the case.

Increase the flow rate at the kitchen sink. Remove flow restrictions.

Turn the cold water off to the water heater and then open a hot faucet. The pressure should bleed down and the water should stop. Make sure that’s the case.

Increase the flow rate at the kitchen sink. Remove flow restrictions.
I turned power off to heater, dont want to burn the elements. Shut the water off, came in turned on hot water in the kitchen and stopped with in 3 seconds.

I turned power off to heater, dont want to burn the elements. Shut the water off, came in turned on hot water in the kitchen and stopped with in 3 seconds.
Ok good, just like it’s suppose to.

Now you need to increase the flow volume at the kitchen sink faucet. If that doesn’t do the trick or if you want instant hot water without wasting water, then you’ll need a circulation pump system or add a booster heater.

Ok good, just like it’s suppose to.

Now you need to increase the flow volume at the kitchen sink faucet. If that doesn’t do the trick or if you want instant hot water without wasting water, then you’ll need a circulation pump system or add a booster heater.
Ok ty

When the water gets hot, any idea what the temperature is ? You say you turned it up to max, that should burn your hand , maybe your tank is just going bad. I mean , is it actually getting up to heat, but just not reaching your sink quick enough ?

When the water gets hot, any idea what the temperature is ? You say you turned it up to max, that should burn your hand , maybe your tank is just going bad. I mean , is it actually getting up to heat, but just not reaching your sink quick enough ?
Its definitely not hot like it should be. Could it be the heating elements? There are 2 of them.

Take the water temperature at the water heaters relief valve and compare it to the hottest water you can get at the kitchen sink.

Numbers don’t lie.

Take the water temperature at the water heaters relief valve and compare it to the hottest water you can get at the kitchen sink.

Numbers don’t lie.
The sink in the garage gets the water to hot to touch

Take the temp at both places with a thermometer.

Might be a problem with your kitchen faucet.
Would you know how to take the water restricter out?

Attachments

• 20240317_070128.jpg
    20240317_070128.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240317_070125.jpg
    20240317_070125.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Take the sprayhead off and look in there. Those type faucets are famous for lower flow. Some have a check valve where the hose connects underneath the sink that restricts flow.

Use caution. Many times if you remove the spray head, the hose will fall all the way through the lining and end up under the sink. Just use a wire tie to stop the hose from falling through when removing the head. Once you have the spray head removed, soak it in vinegar or better yet, CLR.

Latest posts

Back