Hot Water Tank gone bad? - Rust dust when using hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckoh

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for some help with identifying debris in sinks/tubs when using hot water and how to fix it. We are on a well, and iron in the water for which we have an iron filtration system (chlorine metered into holding tank, then filtered through two filter canisters (4ft tall by 10" wide, with timers for back washing on top), I'm told one filters out the oxidized iron, the other residual chlorine). We also heat our hot water with furnace oil.

Three years ago we had a brand new tank put in, and approximately 1.5 years into its life we started seeing black specks in the tub water, at that time I checked the anode rods and they were, from my research, very used up. Replaced with magnesium rods but continues to see debris (less, but still present). Checked the rods approx 4 months after install and they were needing replacement again, at this time I took the opportunity to switch to the Corro Protec product as we were hoping to eliminate the particle break down in the tank, but still protect the tank from corrosion. It appears the problem has not gotten any better, I can flush my hot water tank into a 5 gal bucket and each time there is about a table spoon of fine black (brown-ish when dry) dust/powder.
I've attached some photos, two of the inside of my tank (drained it and tried my best to take pictures through the anode rod holes). And one a bag of the powder that is present in the water.

We do not have any flex lines between the water treatment and hot water tank. I've flushed the tank periodically, and doesn't seem to make things better.
Is Corro Protec a waste of money?
Is my water too soft for magnesium rods, and would aluminum be a better solution?
If my iron filtration system to blame, and its not backwashing correctly, or something alone those lines (we had the company who put the system in look at things about a year ago, they found no issues).
Is my tank shot? How can I fix this /prevent this in the future?

Attachments

• 20230213_224506.jpg
    20230213_224506.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230212_114701.jpg
    20230212_114701.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230212_114738.jpg
    20230212_114738.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
Have you checked the pH of your water? It sounds like it may be less than 7 or acidic. If so, you may want to investigate adding the equipment to increase the pH. Magnesium should protect better than aluminum but both will be used up if there is corrosion issues. No experience with the powered corrosion protection, but they are used with pipelines so it would seem they should work.

I like to flush the tank with the pressure on, and not simply drain it without pressure as is commonly recommended. I also installed a ball valve to get a higher flow for flushing.

Thanks for the reply. I did a test with a pool water tester, seems our PH is in the normal/ok range, so still not sure.

I took a small bag of the dust/sand looking stuff, to a water filtration company and they thought it was maybe the sand inside one of the filters, does that sound possible? The sand/dust isnt magnetic, and doesnt smear like I believe magnesium would? I'm fine with having the filters replaced, if that is indeed what this is. Really want to rule out the water heater being the issue / ruined.

I have drained the tank both with and without pressure, and never get more than the fine dust/sand, if it was the tank rusting, wouldn't there be larger chunks or corrosion?

Based off that details can I rule out the water heater?

Back