Hot water pressure problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjlotz

Reaction score
Can I replace the hot water outlet pipe in my hot water heater? The water pressure is going way down in relation to the cold water pressure at all the outlets in the house, so I'm assuming I have mineral deposits in the outlet.I drained the tank and a lot of deposits and brown colored water came out.
Also, should I replace the pressure valve too? The heater is 8 years old. Thanks much for any replies.

Generally, a water heater will last between 5-10 years, so yours is already past its prime. You should flush the sediment from the tank about every other month to keep it in tip top shape. This in itself should not cause your cold water pressure to be reduced, so you will need to remove any screens on your faucets and flush away any sediment there as well.

Some of the sediment in your tank could be from the anode rod, which is designed to be destroyed in order to save your water heater itself. The anode rod might need to be replaced as well, but my rule of thumb is when it is time to replace the rod, it is probably time to consider a full replacement tank.

Most hot water heater outlet pipes are just your common 3/4" pipe thread, which can be replaced easily. Just understand it may be similar to waxing a car as it is headed to the junk yard, so take a close look before wasting your hard earned money.

Finally, if you have any doubts or reservations on parts replacements on your water heater, please have a plumber come out to make sure the job is done correctly.

Thank you for the sound advice. I decided to dig into it , and have attached a pic of the hot water outlet fitting I took out. Filled with corrosion, the reason for the low hot water pressure. I replaced it and the hot water pressure is just fine, equal to the cold water pressure.
Thanks again for your reply.

scan0001.jpg

Thank you for the sound advice. I decided to dig into it , and have attached a pic of the hot water outlet fitting I took out. Filled with corrosion, the reason for the low hot water pressure. I replaced it and the hot water pressure is just fine, equal to the cold water pressure.
Thanks again for your reply.

PICT0047.jpg

Latest posts

Back