Help with cast iron pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimdaniel620

Reaction score
Hi I am remodeling a bathroom and I noticed my cast iron pipe might need to be replaced before I tile. Should I replace this? Or should I leave it alone. This cast iron leads to the basement and the toilet and sink as well as the kitchen sink drains into it. Also, if I need to replace I am thinking pvc. Do I use dwv pvc or sch40 pvc. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    623.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3502.jpeg
    IMG_3502.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Cast iron drain lines are fine as long as they are solid and not cracked. But you have galvanized steel drainpipes that should definitely be replaced, which means the cast iron cross needs replacing as well with a proper double sanitary tee.

DWV, Drain-Waste-Vent, piping is schedule 40 PVC.

Hi I am remodeling a bathroom and I noticed my cast iron pipe might need to be replaced before I tile. Should I replace this? Or should I leave it alone. This cast iron leads to the basement and the toilet and sink as well as the kitchen sink drains into it. Also, if I need to replace I am thinking pvc. Do I use dwv pvc or sch40 pvc. Thanks

I’d replace every bit of that pipe.

Yes, Any sch40 pvc will work. Solid or foam core.

Thanks guys. I’m so close to finishing. I wanted to just finish and start tiling but might as well do the job right . Ima buy this tee and cut off the cast iron and connect the cast iron vertical with fernco and then replace the galvanized pipes with pvc sch40. I guess I will be replacing all the galvanized pipes with pvc. I already replaced all the old hot and cold water pipes to the bath sink and toilet with copper. Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_3564.png
    IMG_3564.png
    750.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1639.jpeg
    IMG_1639.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
DWV, Drain-Waste-Vent, piping is schedule 40 PVC.
Charlotte Pipe (a leading supplier of piping) lists both Sched 40, Sched 40 DWV in their catalog, different products.

Not that this original poster will be affected but in some areas they’ll use Sched 30 for much of the DWV system. A little thinner and a little cheaper…I was making some modifications to my DWV system and assumed it was Sched 40…then nothing fit! Had to use some glue in adapters. The variety of fittings in Sched 30 was limited. Live and learn.

Hi thanks guys for helping me out. Wanted to show you my progress. I’m planning to replace the cast iron next.

Attachments

• IMG_3618.jpeg
    IMG_3618.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3619.jpeg
    IMG_3619.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
I wouldn’t make you change it but next time use dwv fittings.

You’re doing the right thing by replacing it all. Now is the time.

Hi guys , managed to get the cast iron pipe but I had a question. It sounds kind of ridiculous but I’m not sure which way the double sanitary tee should sit. I see that ipc code wants the sanitary tee for the dry vent to be upside down. Does this rule apply here?

That pvc wiling be replacing the cast iron hub. On the sides, it is the dry vent for the kitchen and bathroom. Down leads to basement and wet plumbing attaches to and up leads to the outside. Im going to guess that I should just leave it and not upside down.

Attachments

• IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3808.jpeg
    IMG_3808.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Yes that "rule" applies here. As everything from the bottom of your double Sanitary tee upwards is dry, it should be installed "upside" down.

I don’t think plumbing codes address the direction of tees in the vent system.

This has been discussed before and at the time codes didn’t address it.

Back