Help with a Zoeller 540 Flex backup sump pump installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mokeefe

Reaction score
Greetings! I hope everyone had or is having a great weekend. Feels like Spring finally here in Michigan.

I am looking for help with an installation issue I am having with the above mentioned municipal water supply powered back-up sump pump from Zoeller.

https://www.zoellerpumps.com/wp-content/themes/zoeller/content/literature/FM3170.pdf
I installed my first unit a month ago and had a leak between the unit itself and a 1" x 3/4" plastic bushing/reducer in the image and video below when I hooked up my water supply to the unit using the quick connector that they provide in the box.
Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 1.11.57 PM.png
View attachment My Movie.mp4

The first time I purchased a brass bushing to use in place of the plastic and also got a leak at that same join and between it and the quick connector Zoeller provides.

I called Zoeller, and their support asked me to ensure I fully tightened the bushing to the unit which I did and I still got the leak. They said I may have a cracked unit and quickly sent me out a brand new one which I just installed not reusing any parts and I have the same exact problem.

The install manual states:

INCOMING WATER PRESSURE:
40 PSI minimum with valve open.
80 PSI maximum with valve open.
100 PSI maximum with valve closed.

This is installed right at the entry point of my water supply. I measured my pressure with a $15 water pressure device from my hardware store at around 70psi after I removed the first unit and before I installed the second.

I will contact Zoeller support again but they didn't have any ideas the first time other than tightening the bushing as far as I could. It is possible I have two bad units or this bushing is rarely used and therefore problems with it are rarely reported. But the odds seem low that is the case.

It is a threaded plastic unit to threaded plastic bushing connection point and the manual did not state to use teflon in that connection so I didn't. Reading online in a few places, I learned you really shouldn't use teflon in a plastic to plastic threaded connection anyway.

Should I buy a pressure reducer for my 3/4" piping as an option?

Is there a water tight glue/sealer for these two plastic pieces I could use? I don't need to uninstall those two pieces ever again since I can remove the unit through the quick connector.

I am open to any suggestions/directions. I am fairly handy with house projects with the exception of soldering copper pipe and joints, thus my use of quick connectors (which aren't leaking at all) on this project.

Cheers and take care!

I have experienced the exact leak with my Zoeller 540. I initially installed the reducer with Teflon tape but it leaked immediately. I noticed that the threads appeared to be cut too large as they screwed together completely without any final resistance.
I took it all apart and and screwed it back together with plastic joint compound. It seemed to hold until my sprinkler system was activated this Spring and it began to leak again. I think the slight water hammer the system broke it loose. I am installing a hammer arrestor this week and see how it goes. I will post the results. Wish me luck.

I have experienced the exact leak with my Zoeller 540. I initially installed the reducer with Teflon tape but it leaked immediately. I noticed that the threads appeared to be cut too large as they screwed together completely without any final resistance.
I took it all apart and and screwed it back together with plastic joint compound. It seemed to hold until my sprinkler system was activated this Spring and it began to leak again. I think the slight water hammer the system broke it loose. I am installing a hammer arrestor this week and see how it goes. I will post the results. Wish me luck.
I ended up fixing it by using teflon tape and pipe dope. The instructions don't mention to use the pipe dope but the guy at the hardware store, who sells that same unit, said it needs it. I have had no leaks since. Good luck and thanks for replying.

I ended up fixing it by using teflon tape and pipe dope. The instructions don't mention to use the pipe dope but the guy at the hardware store, who sells that same unit, said it needs it. I have had no leaks since. Good luck and thanks for replying.
Hello mokeefe,
I did call Zoeller and was advised I may have overtightened the connections where it leaked. They indicated there had been no change in the parts.
So I followed your advice and used both the Teflon tape and the combo metal & plastic pipe. So far no leaks. I also installed a water hammer arrestor made by Sioux Chief.
I want to wait until my sprinkler system cycles a few more times until I say the leak issue is solved. Thanks again. I’m crossing my fingers !

Back