Help With a Clogged Toilet and Drain Pipe that Needs Replacing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanp2500

Reaction score
I have a washing machine that when it drains it overflows a downstairs toilet. I figured i need to snake it but the auger i bought doesn't work so great. It's electric but the toilet drains out the front not the back. Any ideas on how best to proceed? Should i take the toilet off? I am thinking I need to replace it with with a back draining one. This has been such a nightmare because it gets clogged very often, I also believe part of my problem is the main drain pipe for the home needs to be replaced. From what i read that means toilet paper should not be flushed right? Otherwise this will periodically happen. I am thinking replacing the drain pipe is a major job any idea on cost? Any help thoughts is appreciated.

I would remove the overflowing toilet, snake with a cable that's at least 3/8" in diameter, longest cable you will get with that maybe 75', I would go a bit bigger in diameter and cable length, if you are not familiar with drain cleaning you may want to call a drain cleaning co that way there's no chance of you getting hurt the bigger machines will break you fingers if the cable twists

I would remove the overflowing toilet, snake with a cable that's at least 3/8" in diameter, longest cable you will get with that maybe 75', I would go a bit bigger in diameter and cable length, if you are not familiar with drain cleaning you may want to call a drain cleaning co that way there's no chance of you getting hurt the bigger machines will break you fingers if the cable twists
Thanks so much for this bit of advice. I am like ok so the next logical step if this is what i am facing it let's take this toilet off ya know? It's just never did that. But i ain't scared. I view this as mining for gold mwhahaha. I will learn a skill and save my family some $. i also noticed how it is easy to hurt my fingers i appreciate that honest comment.

So ok. I would love some more advice guidance from folks. i am the proud new owner. But have lived here at times in the past. Pretty much what i have observed owners of this property do is they use toilet paper. now i just don't use that stuff. i have lived here by myself for years at a time. no issues. but i notice when toilet paper is used this clogging occurs. i really want to fix this for good. i also sadly have a rodent and drivway pothole problem. now i did some reading and asking around about the property and i was told that the main drain pipe needs to be replaced and that it is costly around 5k. anyone can tell me if that sounds about right to do a job? i am happy to provide any pictures info. my main concern is ok. it's going to take me time to replace it but i am going to. in the meantime is this true that when this is the case one cannot use tp? it seems to explain the rodent and pothole issue here. ugh. also would replacing the front drain toilet with a back drain be the next step? i think i want to do that just cause of the room. very small very cramped think airplane bathroom it's kinda nutz. and just to confirm doing a major home replacement like a drain pipe prob best left to pros i guess? cause it involves hard dig? high degree of difficulty. THANKS GUYS!

I think it would be money well spent if you had a reputable drain cleaning co clear the drain and camera it that way you will know the condition of the drain right away and the only thing you should be using is tp, those wipes cause major stoppages

I think it would be money well spent if you had a reputable drain cleaning co clear the drain and camera it that way you will know the condition of the drain right away and the only thing you should be using is tp, those wipes cause major stoppages
Ok. So i am an idiot. i am using POPULO Electric Drain Auger,25Ft Plumbing Snake. i say idiot because i didn't feel thoroughly enough around the toilet/look up model first. It's a rear draining toilet. So i followed the steps here:

Got a pipe to those measurements And this snake ran and ran. it seemed to get stuck once like as if it had cleared a clog but sadly no dice. Prior to this the toilet would flush. That doesn't work anymore really. It seems to drain slower that before. I let it run a real long time. It didn't seem to stop. Which isn't what i expected. The reverse seemed shorter (still took long but not as long) which made me suspicious. Hitting something? Reaching a big open area (hole?). No clue. What i can say is when i was using it unsuccessfully in the front portion i knew right away when i was snagged. So it seems to be running. Same with observing the snake coil. So now what? I am thinking yes call a pro but i don't want to be uneducated about this because it's been going on so many years and obviously whatever they do to clear the pipes is not a permanent fix. Things I have tried. baking soda vinegar. Pouring hot water in.

I am confused as to why if it's not the toilet line why when i run the washer it overflows. ugh. I guess the next step is indeed remove the toilet. But gosh. It is so hard to remove the bolts. It's insane. i tried starting with the top for the tank portion but they just do not spin. this is a link to the one i have:

https://pdf.lowes.com/productdocuments/7becc99d-9824-4fe5-b841-fd702af09330/43467741.pdf
i guess from here i could also try a manual snaking (but ugh seems to be a bad idea.)

Is there a better toilet i can buy?? i mean it's really frustrating so i don't mind getting a more expensive toilet put in. i want to renovate this floor but im scared to because this random flooding that occurs without warning.

I will keep ya'll posted. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Last edited:
You need to hire a professional drain cleaning co the video you show is not the proper way way to clear a drain the toilet needs to be removed and properly snaked

Last edited:
If that electric snake gets caught in the trap it can slap the heck out of it and break the bowl. An auger is cheaper

If that electric snake gets caught in the trap it can slap the heck out of it and break the bowl. An auger is cheaper
idk i mean ok here is my thing. if you observe how that device works i think it would totally do the job of clearing a clog. but once i realized i actually had a rear draining toilet and used the pipe as described it totally runs. I have used manual devices before. Frankly they suck. This experience was actually pretty cool. But the bummer was it did not solve me issue.

Things i am looking for are like can the style of toilet be at fault?

Are there models I can purchase which would be less clog prone?

Other things to check? I was considering snaking the sink in that room. Considering taking the toilet off when running the snake. I have contacted someone to come out. Still waiting. Key to my sad story is MANY companies have come out. This never STAYS fixed. Problem ALWAYS returns. Is always same. One bloke said replace the main drain pipe that goes to the driveway (which made perfect sense to me based on pothole rodent issues) for 5k. But i'd hate to do that and have the problem return. Tough one. Cause it prevents me from being interested in renovating that floor of the house. To my knowledge next door neighbors don't have same issues and these are townhouses. So makes me think something needs replacing or upgrading. I mean it's 2022!

If you run you washing machine on an upper floor and a toilet overflows on the lower floors the toilet is not the issue, it's the main drain in your unit, a professional drain cleaning co has to snake and camera your drain this is your only option

If you run you washing machine on an upper floor and a toilet overflows on the lower floors the toilet is not the issue, it's the main drain in your unit, a professional drain cleaning co has to snake and camera your drain this is your only option
Well just to be clear and I totally appreciate the advice. Remember company has already been asked to come out. I am just playing the waiting game now. It's just well remember. 10 years. No one is permanently fixing issue so. It's time for me to investigate. Ok. So the actual scenario is. 2 floor town house. Washer and Dryer are on first floor. Toilet that overflows when washer or upstairs shower is used is on the first floor in front of the washer and dryer in a bathroom about gosh 15 feet away roughly.

Back