Help! Water pressure fluctuating

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yobbo Bobbo

Reaction score
Hello. I live in an apartment building and since yesterday our water pressure has been fluctuating up and down every 5-10 seconds. Multiple apartments are experiencing it.

From what I can find out this is probably a failed water pressure regulator. Does this sound like the issue? If it is, how urgent is it to be repaired? Can it wait a week, or should it be fixed immediately?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
7 floors. We have a pressurizer (booster) and that appears to be the issue - the pressure was varying between about 70 and 13, even after resetting it. Turned that off and bypassed it and the pressure fluctuations have stopped, but the pressure is weaker on the upper floors now. The pressure booster motor is working though, so not sure what is wrong, we'll have to get a plumber out. I could not see a water pressure regulator anywhere - the water main comes in to the basement, then there's the meter, then the booster. It's an Amtrol Pressuriser RP-15hp.

There is usually a pressure balancing valve in those pumped systems it help with pressure swings they are made to be repaired or adjusted you need a company that services pumped/pressurized domestic water systems there are co's out there that specialize in this

Unless you are the owner or authorized repair person, this should be the landlord/owner's problem. You touch and you break, you get sued.

There is usually a pressure balancing valve in those pumped systems it help with pressure swings they are made to be repaired or adjusted you need a company that services pumped/pressurized domestic water systems there are co's out there that specialize in this
Thanks for that, should narrow things down a bit. :)

The pressure isn't too bad without it, so if it's too costly to repair we'll just leave it bypassed.

Back