Help Replacing Old Delta Tub/Shower Trim

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_bombadil

Reaction score
Hey team-

I'm a DIY'r amateur replacing a leaky 40 year old Delta tub/shower trim kit and I don't know which replacement kit and parts are compatible. The faucet has the old volume + shower diverter lever (see pic) but most of the units I see have the diverter in the tub spout so I don't know if that will work.

For example, will this replacement kit work? Or do I need a different setup? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NJWWTC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

IMG_5391.jpeg

Thanks!

That actually a symmons shower valve, if it's dripping from the spout or shower head you need a new stem, possibly hot and cold seats, they are located in Braintree , the diverter is part of the valve body not on the spout

Last edited:
That actually a symmons shower valve, if it's dripping from the spout or shower head you need a new stem, possibly hot and cold seats, they are located in Braintree , the diverter is part of the valve body not on the spout
Thanks! Good to know they're in Braintree.

It's leaking in the wall behind, and dripping onto the floor below. I cut out a hole in the ceiling below and can see up from below, it's not the dran, it leaks when the faucet is turned on. So my plan was to replace the trim kit including the shower stem, faucet/diverter, and tub spout and see it that did the trick. I just wasn't sure which parts were compatible. Seems like this might work then? https://smile.amazon.com/Symmons-S9...17&sprefix=symmons+bath+shower,aps,82&sr=8-11

All you need to do is replace the diverter cartridge (white) you can buy that at hd or Lowe's or any plumbing supply house, there are 2 color diverters, white diverts from tub spout to shower head, (black )
)is for shower valve only(shower head) it controls the volume
When you remove the shower valve cover plate the diverter will be held in by 2 small Phillips screws and a small brass price, or a larger round brass threaded piece that removes with a large Allen wrench,sometimes it wiggles out easy other times you need a sheet rock screw or wood lag to bite into the white plastic then pull it out

Last edited:
All you need to do is replace the diverter cartridge (white) you can buy that at hd or Lowe's or any plumbing supply house, there are 2 color diverters, white diverts from tub spout to shower head, (black )
)is for shower valve only(shower head) it controls the volume
When you remove the shower valve cover plate the diverter will be held in by 2 small Phillips screws and a small brass price, or a larger round brass threaded piece that removes with a large Allen wrench,sometimes it wiggles out easy other times you need a sheet rock screw or wood lag to bite into the white plastic then pull it out
Thanks Geofd! By "cartridge" do you mean this "spindle"? This seems to be what comes with the valve trim kit.

1661819985600.png

https://smile.amazon.com/Symmons-Tu...17&sprefix=symmons+tub+shower,aps,113&sr=8-16

Back