Help replacing ball valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastronomique

Reaction score
Greetings Folks. I'm a DIY guy who needs to replace a couple faulty ball valves. I've never done this job. The valves are brass Legend brand, model T-1000, attached to half inch PVC pipes. The pipes are hot and cold water for my bathtub. See photos.
I'd like to buy replacement valves and have them ready to install before shutting down the water supply to minimize the amount of time without water.
I have some basic questions. Can anyone tell exactly what type of valves I should buy from the photos? They look like threaded female valves to me.

Do I also need to buy some PVC and brass couplers?
What's the right way to approach this job? Should I cut away the existing couplers down to the bear uncoupled PVC pipes?
Would Sharkbite valves work instead of threaded valves? If so would I need any couplers at all?
Thank you in advance for any replies. I need to get this done before Thanksgiving. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20231114_203021.jpg
    IMG_20231114_203021.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231114_202836.jpg
    IMG_20231114_202836.jpg
  • IMG_20231114_202826.jpg
    IMG_20231114_202826.jpg
  • IMG_20231114_202746.jpg
    IMG_20231114_202746.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231114_202729.jpg
    IMG_20231114_202729.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
That is CPVC not PVC. Cut it with a saw not pipe cutters, it will shatter. Make sure to back up the fittings with a second wrench. You'll need brass or SS male adapters, CPVC one step glue, unions, couplings, ball valves, thread tape and pipe dope.

You could cut it out, use sharkbite valves, new pipe and couplings.

If you purchased them within the last seven years, you can get them covered under warranty and they will pay $75 per valve to a contractor.

Thanks very much for your helpful advice.
Is it a viable option to remove the existing ball valves but keep the brass and CPVC couplers in place? If so, it seems I could use the existing CPVC couplers and the existing brass nuts, and simply tape up and dope and glue the threads to install the new brass ball valves. Or is it preferable to replace the existing couplers first?

If I go with SharkBite, then I would need to cut off the existing couplers and probably extend the CPVC pipe to fit the new Sharkbite ball valve.

I welcome any additional input. Many thanks.

Do you think you'd be able to move either pipe once the valve is out to allow more room to fit the new one in?

Do you think you'd be able to move either pipe once the valve is out to allow more room to fit the new one in?
Thanks Gagecalman. I think I could shorten or lengthen the existing pipe so the new valve fits the space, depending on if the new valve is shorter or longer than the existing valve plus the couplers. But it would be hard to relocate the pipes with my limited skills.
I'm going to cut the existing pipe to remove the ball valve and both the brass and CPVC couplers to leave just the bare pipe. Then I'll add a CPVC coupler and pipe to fit the space needed for a shark bite replacement valve. That should simplify the job.
One question. Can I use a reciprocating saw to cut the CPVC pipe? If so, should I use a blade intended to cut metal? I don't think I I played intended to cut wood would work well.
Many thanks to all.

What is wrong with the existing valves?

You can use a hack saw to cut the pipe. It doesn't take too much to cut it. CPVC gets brittle over time. I wouldn't stress it too much. You don't want to create more problems.
I've used cutters like these "Husky flexible tube cutters" on old pipe. I just go real slow and rock them back and forth. You don't want to power straight through and smash it. It will crack.

I'm not sure my question about moving the pipes made sense so I hope this is better. The pipe on top of the valve is attached to the tub faucet and can't be pushed up. When you install the new valve the bottom pipe will have to be pushed down about 3/4" to clear the valve and then inserted into it.

It's nice to have valves for the tub but they rarely get used. You could just replace them with pipe and couplings.
BTW I'm not a plumber.

Latest posts

Back