Goulds J05N pump and well help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang46

Reaction score
Hello I’m new to the forums. I have a 80 foot well with a goulds J05N from 1990, 2 hose system with injector and foot valve. 1 1/4 line and 1 inch line. The injector and foot valve is about 2 years old. When we changed the injector we also ran new poly hoses. The system worked fine last year. It’s a Sumer house so it doesn’t run much. The problem is the pump will not build up enough pressure to kick the pressure switch off. With the valves closed to the tank and the house. The gauge only reads 15-20psi and when I shut the pump off it instantly drops to 0. But when I take the gauge off the water is till primed and up to the top of the pump. I rebuilt the pump today and still have the same problem. I even pulled the well and cleaned out the injector and foot valve. Wasn’t even that dirty or clogged. After all that I still have the same problems. My question is could it be the pump not strong enough to pump up? But then why would it pump to 15/20 and instantly drop to zero when I shut the pump off. I don’t know if it’s the pump, the injector, the foot valve or maybe a hole in one of the lines? Any ideas for me? I was pretty bummed out after rebuilding the pump, cleaning the injector I still had the same problem before I even tackled it. Please any help would be great! I appreciate it!

Did you try adjusting the back pressure valve on the discharge of the pump? That valve could be bad. You can test by replacing with a ball valve.

A ball valve is not self regulating. But cutting in a ball valve that you can close down some would prove if this is your problem or not. Until you at least try putting some back pressure on the ejector, I don't know which other way to go.

I guess I see what your saying. But no there is no valve on the discharge hose. It’s just plumbed into the pump with barbs and the hose connects to it. It always worked great. Never had a problem with it until we put in a new ejector and replaced the hoses. I guess it’s just replace one thing at a time. Is there a simple way to pressure test the system? If I call a plumber he will just start replacing stuff that I can do. We called 2 years ago and they didn’t even pressure test anything. They just started pulling it out Anyone can do that….

Back