Glacier Bay Dual Flush Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churchill

Reaction score
Hi all. I changed the flush valve on my Glacier Bay dual flush toilet today. That stopped the running. I was pretty proud of myself... Until I went to screw the flush valve back in. I twisted the valve clockwise until it clicked into place like I'm supposed to. Everything "seems" to be flushing fine. BUT, the flush buttons on top of the valve don't sit symmetrically when the valve clicks into place. No matter what I do, the blue and gray buttons are slightly rotated off center by about 30⁰. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it looked like exactly before I removed the flush valve apparatus, but I *think* the buttons sat centered/symmetrically before (even looking at the toilet from the front). Also it just makes sense in my amateur mind for the buttons to sit symmetrically. I know I'm supposed to turn the valve until it clicks into place though, so why are the buttons rotated like that? Is this going to create some kind of problem for me? Is it possible it was installed improperly to begin with? As in the whole flush valve apparatus was tightened from the bottom of the tank so that it wasn't oriented to where the buttons would sit symmetrically once clicked into place? I hope I explained that correctly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125-163923_Viber.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125-163923_Viber.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 0
So take the tank back off, loosen the flushvalve and position it correctly then tighten it down and reinstall the tank.

That should take you about 15 minutes once you start work.

So take the tank back off, loosen the flushvalve and position it correctly then tighten it down and reinstall the tank.

That should take you about 15 minutes once you start work.
Is it ok to leave it like this? All I did was replace the seal. I'm ok leaving it like this if that's the way it was before I replaced the seal and as long as it functions the way it was intended. I can't remember what it looked like before I replaced the seal. It might have already been off center.

Ah, to change the flushvalve the tank has to be removed. You just changed the flush gasket.

Yeah, if it works then leave it. It must’ve been like that originally.

Oh ok. Sorry if I misspoke. I only changed the seal/gasket, so yeah, I never removed the tank. I just untwisted the top of the valve, replaced the seal, and then popped the top back on. That's when it dawned on me that the thing was off center, but, dummy me, I didn't pay any attention to how it was positioned beforehand. I kept popping the top off and twisting it back on because I thought I may have done something wrong, but it always ends up off center once it locks back into place no matter what I do, so I figured it was positioned like that to begin with. Everything seems to work, so I prefer to leave it like that if that's the case.

Do you think the dual flush mechanism still works as it should? It seems like the each of the two individual rods would still hit the appropriate button even with it a bit off center like that. Hard to tell when I put the tank cover back on.

Remove the flush valve and reinsert on a different notch. Keep trying, and you'll get it straight.

Remove the flush valve and reinsert on a different notch. Keep trying, and you'll get it straight.
I tried that. I tried every notch, but it always ended up like this by the time it locked into place. I don't mind keeping it like this as long as it doesn't hurt anything.

I have the same valve in my glacier bay , if you position the valve 30 degrees to the left, it should click into the right position.How about turning the valve backwards to click it in . I replaced the valve last year and it went in correctly.

I have the same valve in my glacier bay , if you position the valve 30 degrees to the left, it should click into the right position.How about turning the valve backwards to click it in . I replaced the valve last year and it went in correctly.
I tried that multiple times, but it always ends up like this once it clicks into place. I think the others are probably right that the bottom, the part in the tank that the top of the valve screws into, was positioned off center to begin with. I'm hoping so. I only have use of one arm right now and hate to call a plumber ($$) if it was like this already. Wish I paid attention to what it looked like before.

If it’s working then don’t worry about it.
Thanks for your replies. Do you think the dual flush mechanism still works as it should? It seems like the each of the two individual rods would still hit the appropriate button even with it a bit off center like that. Hard to tell when I put the tank cover back on although it definitely flushes and is no longer running.

When you put the lid on, if it flushes, it flushes. Don't sweat it, but something tells me there is still something wrong. Was the new gasket the same thickness as the old gasket? By chance is the full flush button now reversed with the partial flush? This would indicate that it is 180 degrees off.

When you put the lid on, if it flushes, it flushes. Don't sweat it, but something tells me there is still something wrong. Was the new gasket the same thickness as the old gasket? By chance is the full flush button now reversed with the partial flush? This would indicate that it is 180 degrees off.
Yes, definitely same size and thickness gasket. I got the exact model gasket that was listed on the underside of the tank lid and I compared the old and new one before putting the new one in. They're not reversed. It clicked into place really nicely.

I have a single flush button on my Niagara toilets, and the cylindrical flush valve can be installed right side up, or upside down with no differences. Just thought I'd check.

I have a single flush button on my Niagara toilets, and the cylindrical flush valve can be installed right side up, or upside down with no differences. Just thought I'd check.
When you say "right side up or upside down" are you talking about just the seal/gasket or the whole valve contraption? Both sides of the new seal were the same. There was no difference.

I'm referring to the entire flush valve cylinder. The seal should float around on its own, once is is positioned in place.

I'm referring to the entire flush valve cylinder. The seal should float around on its own, once is is positioned in place.
I'm not sure what you mean by float around on its own? The seal isn't visible once the cylinder is in place. It looks like this before the cylinder is put back in place.

Attachments

• seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
The seal is the white object, right? You should be able to spin in around when in that position, correct? This is what i was referring to.

I'm not sure what you mean by float around on its own? The seal isn't visible once the cylinder is in place. It looks like this before the cylinder is put back in place.
Yes, the white thing is the seal and the whole bottom thing along with the seal spins.

Back