Electric WH is 1/3 my power bill. Heat pump or Tank-less propane?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could save a little by insulating the pipes, and elsewhere in the home if they are not insulated.

You could save a little by insulating the pipes, and elsewhere in the home if they are not insulated.
Most of the piping is in the walls, can't get to it. I did insulate at the hot line in the crawl space to the kitchen sink. No access to pipes going upstairs to the shower. I'm going to insulate the exposed pipe in the closet though. Foam is cheap.

Most of the piping is in the walls, can't get to it. I did insulate at the hot line in the crawl space to the kitchen sink. No access to pipes going upstairs to the shower. I'm going to insulate the exposed pipe in the closet though. Foam is cheap.
The piping in the room is the only thing that would pay to do. The heater should have heat traps but an easy test would be to grab the copper at the top of the heater and see if it’s hot,warm, etc. That’s a wasteful way to pipe a heater

Is solar an option? If it doesn’t freeze where you are they can be pretty simple, and solar is free once installed.

Is solar an option? If it doesn’t freeze where you are they can be pretty simple, and solar is free once installed.
Solar hot water is standard in the Middle East; most homes/apartments have a tank on the roof along with a set of solar hot water generators, all with thermosiphon action.
I'd think today it would be better to just generate electricity with solar panels--they've been doing this for decades.
I've got reasonably inexpensive electricity because I'm on a co-op service, but still the cost to install panels is kind of prohibitive. Doesn't stop my green neighbors from doing it.
1707692037517.png

Back